General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

NT40-Win2003 Cross Domain Access

by ronschmidt ·

I have an NT40 SP6A installed with 45 users. I brought in a new server and installed
    WINDOWS 2003 Server on the new machine and configured it with Active Directory.
    I created a new domain on the new server to keep it apart from the NT40 production domain.
    I have set up a trusted relationship on the WIN2003 Server for both incoming and outgoing
    activity with the NT40 domain and I can access all the resources on the NT40 domain from
    the WIN2003 server. The problem is I cannot access the WIN2003 Server from the NT40
    domain server or any of its clients. When I look at network places and all Microsoft Networks
    on any machine in the NT40 domain including the DC on the NT40 domain I see the WIN2003 Domain Server but I cannot access it. The response is “The network path was not found”. But when I do the same thing on the WIN2003 Server and click on the NT40 domain I can access it with a valid user name and password. Both domains and all users and servers are on the same sub-net. I configured the WIN2003 Server with WIN2000 MIXED MODE and as a DHCP, DNS and WINS server.
    What could be wrong.
    I appreciate any and all help.

Ron Schmidt
    TRIMFOOT CO.
    ronschmidt@trimfoot.com

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: NT40-Win2003 Cross Domain Access

by bfilmfan ·

In reply to NT40-Win2003 Cross Domain Access

First things frist, do the NT clients have Active Directory accounts?

If not,have the NT accounts been granted access to AD resources?

Have you verified that the NT domain actually trusts the AD domain using NETDOM? If the NT domain trusts AD, but AD doesn’t trust NT, then you could see into the NT domain from AD, but could not see resources from NT. Check with NETDOM and make sure the trust is really established.

Is the AD domain only allowing Kerberos authentication or is it also accepting NTLM, which the NT domain and clients will be using?

by p.j.hutchison ·

Also make sure Digital Signing Communications is turned off as NT4 cannot access shares with this turned on (see DC Policy, Security Options)

by promartinus ·

in Active directory, Win NT 4.0 computer name shall be defined, with the checkbox marked “pre Win2000” computer.

by ronschmidt ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 3 reply threads