General discussion

NTBACKUP-Windows 2003 Server Std Ed

By nsharma ·
Hi,

I wonder if you can please help me.

I am trying to set up daily scheduled backup jobs using an external SCSI HP DAT 72GB tape drive which is connected to the onboard external SCSI conenctor of an Elonex Esperon L server. The server is running Windows 2003 Standard Edition with all the usual updates applied.

I have followed through various articles on how to prepare the tapes beforehand. Using the same tape, you can peform multiple backups. However, if you change the tape cartidge, an error message:-

"The device reported an error on a request to write data to media. Error reported: Invalid command. There maybe a hardware or media problem. Please check the system event log for relevant failures."

The event viewer does not really point to anything unusal. In order to overcome this above error message, I have to delete / re-detect the tape drive during a server reboot.

Is there something extremely subtle which I am overlooking or is this a known bug? Any help would be highly appreciated.

With kind regards,

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to NTBACKUP-Windows 2003 Ser ...

you can fix failure to write to a changed tape by deleting the tape drive from device manager and rebooting? whoa.
that is bizarre. it is not a bug i have heard of.
i'd check for newer versions of scsi controller and tape drivers. i'd double check termination.
have you tried this with a freshly formated or erased tape?

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)