General discussion

NW4.11 - NW5.1 Upgrade & ZEN

By chris.riley ·
We have 5 NetWare 4.11 servers in the same tree. We are planning on upgrading 2 of these to NetWare 5.1 (new hardware). I am planning on using Novell's Upgrade Wizard for this job which I'm ok with. One of these servers has ZENworks 2 installed, we are using Remote Control, Inventory etc. Do I need to re-install ZENworks once the server has been migrated onto the new box?

We have already purchased ZEN for Desktops 3. If I do need to re-install is it better to re-install ZEN 2 or go straight to ZEN 3?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by JimBb In reply to NW4.11 - NW5.1 Upgrade & ...

ZEN consist of two parts: NDS objects and schema extensions, and files. If you use the migration wizard, the NDS bits stay there of course, but you will skip SYS:\Public, and all of the ZEN bits in there, so you better re-install ZEN2, custom, onlythe files, onto those servers. No need to again extend the schema, create objects etc.
And about the second part of your question, ZfD3 differs quite much from ZEN2. Don't just do it in 5 minutes.
-The inventory is totally different. There is documentation on how to "migrate" your inventory database.
-The policies have changed a bit. Old settings will be retained in the new policy packages, but you will not be able to edit them. In stead, you will have to re-define some things (not everything) in other parts in the packages, if you need to change things.
-You need ConsoleOne properly set up and patched before you can use and configure ZfD3.

None of these things can't be solved, and relatively easily, but I would separate both "projects".

By the way, on your NW51 CD is a "deployment wizzard", an autorun-windows-application, that checks preconditions for your first NW51 server, does upgrades if necessary, and provides valuable information. Run it some time before you aredoing the actual upgrade/migration.

Jim

Collapse -

by chris.riley In reply to NW4.11 - NW5.1 Upgrade & ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Duster52 In reply to NW4.11 - NW5.1 Upgrade & ...

And another very important point.....you have the option of selecting NDS7 or NDS8 when you create your NW5.1 servers. Put alot of thought/planning into that first. I would suggest NDS7 and then have another project to get to NDS8.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)