General discussion

OFFICE 2000 APPS AUTO CLOSE ON OPENING

By dabuck ·
I have just installed Office 2000 on Win98. All previous installations and updates were fine....
All is fine unless I update using the various SP1 patches from the MS support site.
Should I do this however, as soon as I open any document or application, in any way, the document opens - sometimes allowing a menu box to appear, ie New Document, default, yaa yada - but as soon as process ends, application immediately closes.
Microsoft only acknowledge this bug (and have corresponding fixes) based on the assumption that a Beta version is being overwritten or a Win2000 based installation.

As I feel I need to update the various security patches, to keep my machine, and various clients who may experience similar problems, up to date and non-buggy (!) any ideas how to find the errant code causing the bug and more importantly bypassing it to get the latest updates installed.

As Microsoft do not acknowledge this, I felt you guys might come up with an interesting and markedly safer solution - and please, don't suggest I buy Linux....that causes me more grief....
All suggestions welcome...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by purple713 In reply to OFFICE 2000 APPS AUTO CLO ...

There is some information in Microsofts Knowledge base concerning this matter. Check there.

Good luck.

Collapse -

by dabuck In reply to OFFICE 2000 APPS AUTO CLO ...

The only answers I have found within the MS Knowledge Base, using any searches I have been able to discover only show this problem occurring under win2000 or following a Beta installation. Neither of these is relevent in this case. I have however tried both suggested fixes, applicable to the problem under their acknowledged instances and neither of these fixes work in my Win98 environment.
I do appreciate the advise though and will recheck, in case anything else has been added since yesterday, or available elsewhere.

Collapse -

by baw_carolina In reply to OFFICE 2000 APPS AUTO CLO ...

Could it be that you are using a not quite legal version of Office 2000? With the newest version of Office you must register within 50 uses, and guess what. I think MS keeps track................

Collapse -

This is a registered version, well put it this way, I have the active Microsoft symbol on my disk and certificate. I am checking back with my supplier to track it's legitimacy.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)