General discussion

Office 2000 Deployment - Help!

By NotSoTechie ·
I need to deploy Office 2000 to 1500 users. New to the field & this is my first big project. Help! Suggestions on how to deploy, what worked & doesn't. Issues w/ file & macro conv, templates, Access? Use MS's CIW? All NT 4.0, SP4, Offic 97. Anythingto make it less stressful.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Is SMS an option?

by ARG CIO In reply to Office 2000 Deployment - ...

with SMS you can load it on one machine, have SMS monitor the changes, and create a package to be delivered to each machine. Then SMS can be set to deliver the package over a weekend. Look into it. (it might be a Zero Adminastration Kit, insteadof SMS that makes the package.)

Collapse -

Office 2000

by rgouette In reply to Office 2000 Deployment - ...

Howdy.
I haven't yet rolled this out to the site here, but I have used the Office 2000 Resource Kit to create an automated install using Microsofts "MSI" model.
It's pretty good stuff. You can migrate usere settings, create customized installationoptions etc etc.
It's got my vote.
cheers
Rich

Collapse -

Office 2000

by NotSoTechie In reply to Office 2000

Rich,

I have been playing with the CIW and Profile wizard and they are pretty neat. I am looking into rolling this out with SMS as ORG CIO suggested. We don't have SMS installed in our org yet but will soon.

Collapse -

dist

by rgouette In reply to Office 2000

cool.good luck w/SMS.
I've been given the OK to start scopin git out myself as an alternative to our current D/T management product.
How much does it cost, do you know yet?

Hey, let me know how it turns out will ya?
BTW. I've got a neat discussion going with another guy about desktop s/ware distribution.
you might want to drop in..

"Discussion: Software Distribution "
See ya!
Rich

Collapse -

dist

by dmerrell In reply to dist

Just an FYI on SMS. You want to make sure your design of SMS is correct or you could get burned. SMS is a very powerfull tool where the design is a major factor on your success. There is another application that you may want to look into for yourpackaging. It is call Wise Install Manager.

Collapse -

Office 2000 Deployment - Help

by chuib In reply to Office 2000 Deployment - ...

Check with microsoft.com/sms web site and
technet site to down various chapter and
tech paper those teach you how to deploy
office 2000....Billy

Back to Desktop Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)