General discussion

Office 2000 Optimizer

By pierrejamme ·
Sometimes when you install Office 2000 a program called Office Optimzer comes up when you reboot the first time or soon thereafter. Unlees you uncheck the check mark and cancel this operation your computer will surely "Lock UP" tighter than a tick.
My questions are these;
1.) Is there any place in the Install to deselect this little goody?
2.) Where in the Registry can you turn it off?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Office 2000 Optimizer

by DKlippert In reply to Office 2000 Optimizer

You could rename Otuneup.exe.

The Office File Optimizer operates on Windows 95 and 98. The wizard is not designed to run on Windows NT. The utility runs the first time Windows is started after you install Office 2000 and then runs automatically as needed. When Windows starts it compares the order of the optimized file list stored in the Windows registry, to the physical location of Office files on your hard disk. If the location of the files has changed, the Office File Optimizer is started.

You can run the Office File Optimizer manually by running Otuneup.exe located in the folder in which you installed Office. By default this folder is C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office. You can prevent the utility from running by clicking to clear the Run checks in the future check box in the Microsoft Office 2000 File Optimizer dialog box.

Collapse -

Office 2000 Optimizer

by pierrejamme In reply to Office 2000 Optimizer

Thanks for the info on otuneup.exe. Had hoped to get more info, but this will do for now.

Collapse -

Office 2000 Optimizer

Thanks for the file name that is helpfull.
I really do not want to run "Optimizer" at all. In fact I would like to know how not to even install it it the first place. The time allowed for clearing is too short for my users to clear!

What happens if I rename Optimizer and it tries to run?

Collapse -

Office 2000 Optimizer

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums