Question

Office 2003 licensing question

By markchip ·
I have a small network that has Office 2003 (SBE) installed on the 5 workstations - 3 desktops and 2 laptops. The network was set up with 5 user licenses. However I'm now replacing the laptops with 2 new desktops and I'm not sure what I need to do to be compliant with my license... if I replace SBE with Open Office on the laptops (now for use at home by my kids) will I simply be able to install SBE on the new desktops?

Any thoughts?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Yes

by scott_heath In reply to Office 2003 licensing que ...

The software is licensed per machine unless it was purchased through an OEM like Dell, which sometimes had a per chassis agreement. Example: If you buy a Dell with Windows XP on it the license it not transferable to another system. MS and Dell made a deal to provide it at an incredibly low price, but only if you have to buy another copy when you get a new PC. I'm not 100% sure how this works with Office, but I would bet it's close to the same. If you purchased the software independantly of the hardware you should be able to legaly wipe it off one system and install it on another.

Collapse -

Maybe

by w2ktechman In reply to Office 2003 licensing que ...

look at the liocensing for the Office Suite that you purchased. There are several licensing models that it may fall under. some are for non-business use, some are for 1 machine, some can be transferred to other systems, etc.. If you have questions regarding compliance contact Microsoft to be sure.

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)