General discussion

Office 2003 Save As issue

By ahendrycks ·
I have a desktop (AMD 1400, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB drive, WinXP SP1) running Office 2003 and patched up. The client cannot "Save As ..." in Word only. Excel and PP work fine. If I log in as an Admin Word operates normally. It is in his account specifically.

Any ideas? Is there a preference file or specific .dll for that user that can be deleted or reset?

We tried reinstalling Office and it made no difference. Again, it is specific to his account only. Other users on that system do not have the problem.

He has a workaround of choosing "Save as Web Page ..." and then reassigning the file type to what he wants, but this is annoying.

Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by PhilH123 In reply to Office 2003 Save As issue

I had a not too distant similar issue - I resolved it by ensuring the user belonged to the local user group as a local administrator ( rightclick My computer/manage/local users&groups/- install yr user as a local administrator)On the network my user is a power user only.
Reboot yr pc and then see what happens

Collapse -

by jayshree.bharat In reply to Office 2003 Save As issue

Try this .. When in Word, click on Tools - Customize. While this toolbar is open, Click on File right click on Save as - choose reset.

Collapse -

New Profile

by Rind In reply to Office 2003 Save As issue

Try to create a new profile, I have fixed similar problems in the past in this way but on different versions.

Collapse -

New Profile

by Rind In reply to Office 2003 Save As issue

Try to create a new profile, I have fixed similar problems in the past in this way but on different versions.

Collapse -

Me too

by GSG In reply to New Profile

I had this problem with a user recently. I also deleted the user's profile and that fixed the problem. Of course, "Save as" had worked at some point. If this is a new install, and has NEVER worked, try deleting the user's profile, then, if that doesn't work, I'd uninstall, and then re-install word. It could be that the installation is hosed.

Collapse -

control userpasswords2

by AlchemiA In reply to Office 2003 Save As issue

Normally USERS are not given a lot of control over their PC's when logged into a DOMAIN by reason of GROUP POLICY. Application installs are either pushed to the PC or installed locally by the Administrator while under an Admin profile.

In my routine truble-shooting I have come across the workaround, similar to some of the other answers given here. The USER ought to have STANDARD rights on the PC and perhaps a POWER USER on the DOMAIN. Make a new LOCAL PROFILE with control userpasswords2 at the run command as an Administrator. Make sure STANDARD user is picked, use the same name as the DOMAIN. Works for all the problems that Apps seem to have while logged into a DOMAIN...

Back to Web Development Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)