General discussion

Office 2003 Track Changes

By shelagh1969 ·
We are about to migrate to Office 2003, but having placed this in a test environment have come up with a potentially big problem in Word. If a document is password protected inside the document that has been created in Word 2000, when you open it in Word 2003 it shows all the track changes and these cannot be turned off unless you know what the password is to unprotect the document. My problem is that I do not know why these protections were created as you can edit the document, and the user that created these passwords has left the company so we do not know what the passwords are. Does anyone know of a way to get around this problem without having to use a password cracker.

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Copy the files or use Tools > Options

by KAMinToronto In reply to Office 2003 Track Changes

Hi we are experiencing the same problem. I have a couple of workarounds - but these are not ideal solutions:

1) Use Tools > Options > Track Changes and set all the markup options to NONE then set the Use Balloons option to NEVER. The big problem with this is that it must be done on each user's PC and that it makes using track changes for any other document almost useless.

2) You can also simply copy the old document and paste it into a new one then save. The fastest way I know of to do this is:
ctrl+a (select all),
ctrl+c (copy),
ctrl+n (new blank document)
ctrl+v (paste)
ctrl+s (save)
and if you have a lot of documents to convert, it is probably worthwhile to write a macro to do this.

Kerry

Back to Web Development Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)