General discussion

Office 2007 Beta 2

By john.cb1 ·
I have installed Office Professional Plus 2007 beta 2.

I am unable to uninstall the office 2003. When I try to do this I get the message ?This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package?.

This also happens when I uninstall Office Professional Plus 2007 beta 2 and try to use Office 2003 Professional.

Could you please advise me on what to do so that i can uninstall Office 2007 Beta and continue Office 2003,

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Staxxxx In reply to Office 2007 Beta 2

you can use the windows intaller cleanup tool and then reinstall the prodct.

Check out this KB article

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;295823

Collapse -

by Staxxxx In reply to

I should add that I have used that successfully with a corrupt office 2003 installation which I could not uninstall or do a repair install on but have not tried it on office 2007.

Collapse -

by john.cb1 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by larryhyman In reply to Office 2007 Beta 2

you might no be able to do much, Microsoft clearly states that BETAS should not be run on production machines, BETAS should only be installed on machines that you can afford to wipe out if something goes wrong, sorry, if you don't want reformat your drive, I would suggest giving Microsoft a direct phone call !! (hope your Office 2003 was legit)

Collapse -

by john.cb1 In reply to

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Office 2007 Beta 2

If I understand this correctly you have installed the Office Beta onto a machine currently running Office 2003 without first removing 2003 right?

What would have happened is that the Beta Version would have at the very least overwritten some important files even if you installed it to a different directory if you didn't do this it would have completely overwritten Office 2003.

If that's the case you'll have remaining Registry Entries on that computer that are very time consuming to get back if at all. When you try to remove the Beta Copy you'll most likely get some form of Error Message and the same will apply to the 2003 version of Office.

If that's the case here I wouldn't even recommend a Repair Install as the Registry will remain as it is and you'll be stuck where you currently are the only real answer is a Wipe & Reinstall!

You should Never Install Any Beta Product on a production computer as you always run the risk of having to wipe and reinstall all the software. About the only good thing here is that you'll be able to save your existing data without a problem and don't forget your Favourites, Email & Address Book as well as any other Data Files that are locked up in different Applications like Accounting Software and the like.

Col

Collapse -

by john.cb1 In reply to

Collapse -

by john.cb1 In reply to Office 2007 Beta 2

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by john.cb1 In reply to Office 2007 Beta 2

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)