Question

Office 2007 Default Save type

By Steve Smalley ·
We are being forced to start the roll out of Office 2007. We have over 250 users. We need to keep saving our files in 2000-2003 format due to other suppliers and branches not yet being ready to make the move. I know how to set the default save type (in the options), however I do not particularly want to go to every PC (particularly when some of the PC's are in remote sites over 2 hours drive away) to change this setting.

Does anyone know of a registry hack or Group Policy that allows you to set the default save type for all apps in Office 07 to 2000-2003 format.

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Regsitry Fix

by john.doe In reply to Office 2007 Default Save ...

Steve,
I have made a batch file that will do the job for you that will make Excel, Word, and PowerPoint from Office 2007 save to the 2000-2003 format as a default. It seems we have a similar need in this area. Copy the text below into a file with and save it with a .bat extension and run and watch the magic happen.

@echo off
@echo Changing Excel...
reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options /v DefaultFormat /t REG_DWORD /d 56 /f
@echo Changing PowerPoint...
reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\PowerPoint\Options /v DefaultFormat /t REG_DWORD /d 00000000 /f
@echo Changing Word ...
reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v DefaultFormat /t REG_SZ /d doc /f
@echo.All actions complete
pause

Collapse -

It Works!

by baltung35 In reply to Regsitry Fix

I tested this batch file and it seems to work just fine.

You can get the same results by opening the <Office Button> (upper left corner)-> opening (ex.) <Word Options> (bottom right of drop down)-> opening the <Save> option where you'll find the 1st option in the Save documents frame to be where the defualt save as file format settings reside.

Collapse -

It works BUT...........

by john.quinn75013 In reply to Regsitry Fix

This was the very thing I was looking for as my company migrated to Office 2007 but the parent company is still on Office 2003 and asked that we save files in the legacy format until they do their migration.

So now the issue I see with this batch file. From my testing, it only works when none of the applications are running or the computer is not logged on.

If even one of the applications are running and you apply this batch file, it gives the impression that it worked but it doesn't change the applications.

I've even tried logging and and rebooting the machine under that condition and it still won't update.

Is there a way to perhaps force the change to take place in the registry in the event one of the applications are running; at least perhaps if the machine gets rebooted later on?

If there is not, then ensure your users have the applications closed or they are not logged on when you run it or put it in a login script.

Collapse -

Using the Office button...

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to Office 2007 Default Save ...

at the top left of each application window, you can set the default save to Office 97-2003 format.

Office Button\Options\Save\Save documents:\Save files in this format - the drop down menu offers several options. You will need to have each user do this with each of their Office Apps.

Collapse -

Slightly Off Topic

by gvergis In reply to Office 2007 Default Save ...

Awesome batch, thanks heaps....saved me alot of time running around.
To save me some more time does anyone know a way to change the default file locations for word, excel and powerpoint? Basically have groups of users that save to their respective group folders.

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)