General discussion

OKIDATA 321

By dragoon100 ·
I have a okidata ML 321 on a 2000 machine and isnt working, anyone have any ideas how to get it to work?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by willcomp In reply to OKIDATA 321

Either take it to a repair shop or provide more information. We don't have anything to go on.

Collapse -

by dragoon100 In reply to OKIDATA 321

Perhaps I should rephrase my question.

I have an Okidata ML 321 printer on a Windows 2000 machine. It will respond when Windows starts up and shuts down, but it won?t print when Windows is on. It worked on a Windows 98 machine, but on 2000. The printer drivers are up to date and the printer itself works. I think it could be a parallel port problem or an IRQ, but I?m not to sure which it is or how to fix it.

Collapse -

by dustyD In reply to OKIDATA 321

From Start/Printers, what is the status showing of the OKI?
When you send a document, do you get an error like Document failed to print, blah blah blah?
From Printer properties, can you print a test page?

Collapse -

by willcomp In reply to OKIDATA 321

Check to ensure that emulation (Epson, Okidata, ProPrinter) settings in printer configuration and driver match.

Printer settings can be printed out by button combination on printer. I don't remember it (been too long) so you need to check manual or search Okidata site.

Dalton

Collapse -

by RCOM In reply to OKIDATA 321

Is the printer connected to and set to print on LPT1, which is the physical parallel port on the computer?

These printers are often used on serial connections with a small card that is inserted into the back inner slot of the printer. That connection has screws and the centronics or parallel connection has clips to hold the cable on.

If its a serial connection (com port) you need to have that setting in windows. You'll need to know the serial port in the computer usually com1 or com2. You can check that out in device manager. If that's the case simply change the port in the printer properties port tab page to match the port.

The next thing that has to match is all the serial communication settings. To get that push the menu button and then the print button. When in the menu the buttons use the selections below the button. The first button=list, second=item third=select (change). As you make the different selections the choice will print on the paper. Print the current settings and then make sure the settings for the port in windows match. Open the printer proerties select ports and change to the correct serial port. Then click on configure port and change the settings to match what is on the printout from the OKI 320.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to OKIDATA 321

what kinda machine? notebook? desktop?
what driver are you using?
well, the printer self-tests and has paper and stuff, right. and nothing is banged or disabled in device manager, right? and no conflict with mouse, modem, tablet if serial and second video card or zip drive or scanner or anything else using parallel, if parallel, right? and ml321 and its cable work on another pc? or you are pretty sure they would if you went that far...guess from the other posts this is serial dot matrix printer but same applies if parallel. ..
when print jobs go to 'never never land' ie when there is no error, but nothing comes out, the printer is either paused, off-line or you got wrong port configured or right-port misconfigured in driver, as you suspected. in the process of doing a windows print test from the driver i can check out those things. then check in bios see prntr port configured to be lpt1 or com1 and note all the settings. they must match port in device manager and that port must match port specified in print driver. if that all looked ok you could remove lpt port in device manager and see if it will redetect. if not, you may have bad hardware. try to manually add with Add Remove Hardware. if still no joy i would delete and re-add printer driver. if still no joy maybe you got a bad printer port...

Collapse -

Thank you all for your responses and time, and I found a solution to my problem.(after dealing with a very difficult person for an hour, who says that did he very thing right and wont let me get on the PC, I put the printer on aonther PC and set it on share, and it works!)

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums