General discussion

open 64000 ports

By james ·
I have a client who is using sb server 2003 with ISA server 2000. He has a new application on one of his client machines that requires 64000 ports to be opened (i queried it, its right). Is there an easy way to do this in ISA server 2000??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jdgretz In reply to open 64000 ports

You need to open all 64000 ports or the app will use any open port number 1-64000?

I would not run an app that required me to turn off my security server, which is what you are doing if you open ports 1-64000.

Something just does not sound right here.

jdg

Collapse -

by G... In reply to open 64000 ports

I must agree. It sounds weird and if you want to do something like that easy: just turn off any firewall. There's no use for it if it's just to block ports from 64001 and up. No one uses those and an eventual attackers has more than enough with 64000 opened.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to open 64000 ports

no there isn't an easy way to do this if ISA server 2000 is running. The easiest way is to uninstall ISA server, and run the SB server completely unprotected from the internet.

ISA Server isn't just a firewall. It's a Proxy server as well. That means that no external traffic actually gets in to the LAN network. An external request is answered by ISA and not the actual service.

Collapse -

by hozcanhan In reply to open 64000 ports

james , in order to just open one port and keep the rest closed you need quality/expensive security tool. A tool that does fine tuning on tcp and udp ports . You need this tool also for checking intrusion on open ports .

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)