General discussion

open a file in window 200

By hieple12 ·
hi !when i open a file in windown 2000 like VIA_4in1_443v it ask me what program i want to open with .what is that mean ?and how do i open that program or run that program automaticly like window xp.with window when you click on a file or a software it chose and run automatily without ask .

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ReWrite In reply to open a file in window 200

Any version of windows can only automatically open files by clicking on them when it knows what the file is (such as .exe or .com files) or additional software is installed which knows what the file is (such as winzip for .zip files or adobe for .pdf files). The name of the file you have listed above does not show any file extension (like .exe or .zip) so windows does not know how to open it and asks you what program you would like to use to try to open it. If you downloaded this file then try downloading it again. If you got it from someone then they have changed it and removed the file extension. You will need to know what type of file it is to open/run the file.

Cheers.

RW

Collapse -

by dustyD In reply to open a file in window 200

RW is right. What you are trying to open is a .zip file. Try renaming the file and add the .zip to the end.
You will have to use something like WinZip to unzip the file into its components.
Go here if you don't have it:
ftp://ftp.download.com/pub/win95/utilities/filecomp/winzip90.exe

Collapse -

by hieple12 In reply to open a file in window 200

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)