General discussion

Opening files in Word 2000

By alanb ·
When I open files in Word 2000, I get 2,3,4 etc individual Word programs instead of the one that used to open in Word 97. This crowds my task bar unnecessarily.

How do I get 2000 to do the same as Word 97?

Help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BeerMonster In reply to Opening files in Word 200 ...

This might not be much help, so feel free to reject it -

I believe the idea of the multiple windows is that, even though they all run within the process space of a single winword session they are all partitioned within that session (you can confirm this in task manager, open multiple documents and you will still only see one winword.exe running). This means that if one document encounters problems, it can be terminated without bringing your other documents down with it. On the face of it this is actually a good idea. As for your specific problem, in Office XP, on the options \ view tab, there is a setting called 'windows in taskbar'. This setting does precisely what you are after - displaying a single taskbar icon irrespective of thenumber of office widows open, BUT IT IS NOT IN OFFICE 2000 !! My assumption therefore is that this was recognised as an issue in 2000, and fixed in XP.....

Collapse -

by alanb In reply to Opening files in Word 200 ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to Opening files in Word 200 ...

This is a feature, not a bug. It?s called SDI (Single Document Interface). It is also in Excel, but Excel 2000 allows you to turn it off. It is not multiple instances of Word, each document is shown in its own window. Word 2002 lets you turn it off,so you can go back to MDI (Multiple Document Interface)
You can live with it or check out the information below:

Romke Soldaat - Word and VBA guru - has a ?fix?, but it may be more than you want to play with. The information is at:

"Fighting Desktop Pollution"
http://www.OfficeVBA.com/features/1999/11/vba199911hk_f/vba199911hk_f.asp

(There are no spaces in the URL)

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)