General discussion

Opening user's mailbox - Exchange 2000

By achen2002 ·
There are three Exchange servers in our domain, they are physically at different sites in different cities, let me call these servers mailsrv1 at site 1 (main office), mailsrv2 at site 2 and mailsrv3 at site 3. I am working from site 1.

My domain account is a member of "Exchange Domain Servers" which suppose to have access to all mailboxes.

In my Outlook, when I use "File - Open - Other User's folder" and type in a username which is located in site 3, I have no problem opening the folder; however when I try to open any folder of a user who's at site2, I got the following error: "Unable to expand the folder. The set of folders could not be opened. The operation failed."

They ways these two remote servers are configured are almost identical, I have not noticed any other problem from the Exchange server at site2, except the fact that I can not open folders of users on this server.

I can not find out how should I troubleshoot because I don't have an idea where to start. Can someone please give me a hint ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by achen2002 In reply to Opening user's mailbox - ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

I want to make a correction, the error message described above, is shown after I added the user's mailbox as additional mailbox, and click on his name trying to open his Mailbox.

Here is the error I actually got when using "File - Open - Other User's folder" to open the user's folder: "Unable to display the folder. The Inbox folder could not be found."

So, there are two different ways of opening a user's mailbox, and two different error messages, hope that helps a little bit.

Collapse -

By default none of the administrator groups have access to open people's mailboxes. You have to add that right explicitly. The mailbox you can open someone must have already done this. To change the rights, you need to turn on the advanced features of AD users and computers under the View menu. You will now see an Exchange Advanced tab under the user. Go into mailbox rights and then you can turn on full mailbox access for administrators or whoever. Hope this helps.
Thanks
Pete

Collapse -

by achen2002 In reply to

Mr. Dickason,

By default, Exchange Domain Servers (and Exchange services) is given full permissions of each mailbox in the domain. That is how a email admin can access to 200+ mailboxes without giving himself full access to an account and do this repeatly for 200+ user accounts.

The problem I have now is not "how to access mailbox of a user", it is more likely a problem related to one specific mail server, because I can open mailboxes for all users homed at Mailsrv1 and Mailsrv3 (more than 150 of them), but I can not open any mailbox belongs to users homed at Mailsrv2.

Again, I did not give myself full access to 150 different users one by one from AD, and even giving myself permission to a user homed at Mailsrv2 by that way could let me open his mailbox without any problem, I do not want to take that as solution because it will be a nightmare if that is how we control the permission for three crews in our IT department.

Thanks. :)

Collapse -

Collapse -

Collapse -

Collapse -

by tmcavan In reply to Opening user's mailbox - ...

Are the servers in different Exchange Organizations? If so you will not be able to open/ connect to another user's mailbox in a different Exchange Org.

Back to Software Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)