General discussion

Optima 288 modem problems on a laptop

By lord_ator ·
I have an older laptop with an Optima 288 28.8 modem with EZ-jack. It installs fine but when I get on the internet it will only work for a few minutes and then freeze up. I've tried a modem diagnostic program on it and came up with the rts/cts signals being backwards. Does anyone know how to correct this problem???

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by spiceman In reply to Optima 288 modem problems ...

Sounds like you don't have the correct drivers for the modem. Try drivers.com or the Hayes site to get the drivers for the operating system you are using.

Collapse -

by lord_ator In reply to Optima 288 modem problems ...

Hayes went out of business so it's kinda hard to find drivers. I already have the newest ones

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Optima 288 modem problems ...

If this is a external modem,as you are implying then the RTS(light)Request To Send indicates that the computer wants to send data to the modem,CTS (Clear To Send) indicates the modem is sending a signal to the computer telling it to send data.This is for clarity,so Idonot think you can change this process,now look in device manager and if their is no exclamation mark on the modem and device is not in conflict,click on the button to update the driver.

Collapse -

it's not external

Collapse -

by Cr@zy@ssM@g!c!@n In reply to Optima 288 modem problems ...

I got an answer for you. UPgrade to 56k MAN!!! stop being so cheap with a 28.8. That is turtle speed. Today we have cable dsl and etc.

Collapse -

If i wanted to upgrade I would. I also live in an area that doesn't have cable or dsl.

Back to Desktop Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)