Question

Optiplex 745 Locking up with a blank screen

By WesMSmith75 ·
I have recently run across a pc that the Credit Union I work for that boots past the Windows XP Pro splash screen, brings up the blue "desktop" background and then locks up. This started after we changed the resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x1024. We have other PCs that are the same and have had no problem changing their resolution. I can bring it up in safe mode and in VGA mode with no problem. We would prefer not to have to re-install the software on this pc if we can help it. I have updated the video drivers from Dell. What else could be the problem?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Hard drive?

by TobiF In reply to Optiplex 745 Locking up w ...

It could be small problem on the hard drive.
Have you tried chkdsk and some hard drive maintenance?

Collapse -

Monitor?

by oldbaritone In reply to Optiplex 745 Locking up w ...

Is everything on the display adapter and monitor compatible with 1280x1024?

Have you tried going back to an older restore point?

Collapse -

That would be my question.

by seanferd In reply to Monitor?

Is the monitor different on this 745? Are graphics settings which are not actually supported allowed to be displayed in the list? (Yeah, you can do that.)

Is this the Q965/Q963 Intel chipset? I'm sure there is some variance between different 745 production runs, since Dell always asks for the service code and not just the model number. (I ask because I'm using a 745 right now, but my max resolution with the current monitor is 1024x768.)

Collapse -

crazy thought

by brian In reply to Optiplex 745 Locking up w ...

have you tried completely removing the video card drivers and rebooting to normal mode to see what happens? if so and you still have the problem, try running a spyware/malware scan using malware bytes or something of the sort in safemode.

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)