Question

Optiplex GX150 not showing BIOS/Initial Startup screens

By russdwright ·
Tags: Off Topic
A friend of my brother-in-law's brought over his Dell Optiplex GX150 with various problems. He thought Windows wasn't loading because it would show the monitor's "test screen" forever.

After I hooked it up, I discovered that it was loading to Windows fine (Win XP Home), but the initial boot screens, including the option to enter the BIOS, was never appearing. Fortunately, this has not prevented me from installing AVG, AdAware, CCleaner, etc. to scan the system for anything that may be hindering its performance.

I am seriously considering a full system wipe and reinstall, but I am afraid that won't resolve the BIOS screen not appearing. The only things I have not tried are inserting a floppy (yes, it has a FDD) to force the Non-System Disk Error, or getting Hiren's Boot CD cranking to see if it sees that disk and allows me to run some diagnostics ... once I find the disk or download it again, that is.

I am open to any information, opinions, or insight those of you in the TechRepublic community may have available for me. THANKS!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Back to After Hours Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)