General discussion

Oracle Errors ORA-12203 and ORA-03114

By Dave_S1 ·
Anybody know what these error mean?

SQLConnect: rc = -1, SQLSTATE:S1000,Error MSg:[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle OCI]ORA-12203:TNS unable to connect to destination.

SQLExecDirect: rc = -1, SQLSTATE:S1000,Error MSg:[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle OCI]ORA-03114:TNS not connected to Oracle.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sparent In reply to Oracle Errors ORA-12203 a ...

You are likely missing a TNSNAMES.ORA file under your ORAxx\network\admin directory.

This files lists all the Oracle service names you can use and what they actually point to (servers, port, protocol, ...)

Collapse -

by Dave_S1 In reply to Oracle Errors ORA-12203 a ...

The problem turned out to be the difference in naming schemes in the TNSNAMES.ORA file between Oracle7 and Oracle 8. Oracle 8 uses a DNS style naming scheme (i.e., host.domain.gov) while Oracle 7 uses the older Oracle style naming scheme (i.e. oraclename.world) I had copied the older Oracle 7 tnsnames file to a newer Oracle 8 installation, and that's when I got the errors. When I used the Oracle 8 net config utility to add a new host to the Oracle 8 tnsnames.ora file I noticed the difference, corrected the first name and the original connection then worked. Thanks!

Collapse -

by Tim Parkins In reply to Oracle Errors ORA-12203 a ...

Like above answer mentions, make sure that this file is present. Also make sure that the connection string that you are calling exists in this file.

Collapse -

The problem turned out to be the difference in naming schemes in the TNSNAMES.ORA file between Oracle7 and Oracle 8. Oracle 8 uses a DNS style naming scheme (i.e., host.domain.gov) while Oracle 7 uses the older Oracle style naming scheme (i.e.oraclename.world) I had copied the older Oracle 7 tnsnames file to a newer Oracle 8 installation, and that's when I got the errors. When I used the Oracle 8 net config utility to add a new host to the Oracle 8 tnsnames.ora file I noticed the difference, corrected the first name and the original connection then worked. Thanks!

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)