General discussion

Out of IP's in DHCP (all 250+ are used)!

By ·
Can someone please help me, computers in our school are using all 250+ IP's and we are short of IP addresses for some computers (about 20+ and more are comming). What is the easiest way to get more IP's for assigning to more computers.
Thanks for your help in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ccthompson In reply to Out of IP's in DHCP (all ...

Subnet your network into 2.

10.1.1.x and 10.1.2.x

Get a router that is capable of doing this, if you dont already. Could you tell us what kind of equipment you have?

Collapse -

by Nilt In reply to Out of IP's in DHCP (all ...

The answer to this completely depends on what you're using for a DHCP server. Please post exactly what you're using for this and someone will get to you on it; I'm on my way to a client's just now so it may not be me. :-)

Collapse -

by BobTheITBuilder In reply to Out of IP's in DHCP (all ...

If all 254 IP Addresses are used then it "sounds" like you are using a Class C IP addressing range internally with a default Class C subnet mask ie. to with as the subnet mask. This will be reflected in the scope of your DHCP server/router settings. You may want to consider using a Class B ip address internally i.e. 172.16.x.x This will give you approx 64500 ip addresses on one LAN segment. If you had more than one LAN segment you would have to look into subnetting which increases the amount of subnets but decreases the amount of hosts per subnet.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)