General discussion

Outlook 2000

By gaz_kavanagh ·
I am trying to setup outlook so I can use it off line , I am using W2k and Office 2000 Pro , I have looked at the help option in outlook and the information it is giving me is not whats available in my outlook . I have tested it on another W2k laptop and my friend is having the same problem . We have reinstalled outlook selecting all available options , first for outlook install and then for all of MS office 2000 pro , still with no success . Can you help

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

by sgt_shultz In reply to Outlook 2000

not sure if i am barking up the right tree...but, do you have outlook installed with the Corporate/Workgroup option...(the following is anexcerpt from MSKB article 195436, which discusses using Outlook offline and how to configure Remote Mail)
======================================
These procedures apply if you have installed Outlook with the Corporate Workgroup/Other option. This option allows you to use Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) services. To determine your installation type, on the Help menu, click About Microsoft Outlook. In About Microsoft Outlook, you should see "Corporate" if you have the Corporate Workgroup installation.

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

by gaz_kavanagh In reply to Outlook 2000

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

by Mike Jones In reply to Outlook 2000

The following applies to Office XP and I'm not sure if it will apply to Outlook 2000, but should be along the same lines.

Basically you need to setup Offline Folders.

This will create an .ost file which syncronises when you start and exit Outlook.

In Office XP, this is done via, Tools, Options, send/receive. You don't actually get to the pick the name of the ost file, it will automatically create if for you.

This will then download all your messages in your inbox to the .ost file when you log off or shutdown Outlook and enable access when you are not connected to the network.

You can then compose emails offline which will sit in your Outbox until you next log onto the network.

Hope this puts you in the right direction.

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

by rmccon In reply to Outlook 2000

I have to agree with the first person. I am not sure you are barking up the right tree. Using outlook offline is usually done when you have a mailbox for outlook on an exchange server. What this does is allow the user to retreive the information of the server and take it with the laptop. If this is what you are trying to accomplish, you must insure that outlook is setup for the corporate/workgroup environment.
Otherwise, you can use outlook as is to connect to your pop3 account and download your emails.
If you need more info feel free to contact me.

Rob

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

Collapse -

Outlook 2000

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)