General discussion

Outlook 2000

By Sameh Fouad ·
I have 2 question on Microsoft Outlook.
1) I noticed that when I deleted a large number of mails, the size of pst files does not change. The problem is I found out that some of my users have their pst file size gets bigger, sometimes to nearly 2 GB. How can I sole this problem and reduce the size.
2) Say that I connect to the maik server with the MS Outlook via POP3, this means that mails are left on the server, right? But some mails in inbox still have their attachment files and I can open them. The question is where are those attachments located on the HD, and if I saved them manually, will this reduce the size of the pst file?
Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Senior Program Analyst In reply to Outlook 2000

After clearing your PST file of all messages you dont want (be sure to look at the Deleted Items Folder and make sure its cleared as well):

Right Click on the folder
Select Properties
Click Advanced Button
Clik Compact Now button

That should reduce the size of the file.

#2) If you are using POP3 I believe you have a setting choice to keep messages on the server or to download them. If you Keep the messages on the server you still get copies stored locally when you download them to read. These are usually stored in your profile (documents and settings) folder I believe under the directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

You can save them seperately (dont forget to remove from the server. That will reduce the pst file but what you might do is to add another personal folder (.pst) and seperate out the older messages or categorize them. You can also use the AutoArchive or the Organization Wizard to automate this process.

Collapse -

by Sameh Fouad In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Sameh Fouad In reply to Outlook 2000

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)