General discussion

Outlook 2000 Auto Reply erratic?

By Charger Media ·
Recently I went on vacation and users on the internal network recieved my auto-reply message while external users did not. Any ideas on what could cause this and what steps can I take to fix it?

The mail server is running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on NT 4.0 SP6 box with Outlook 2000 at my workstation.

Thanks for any suggestions!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Gabacious In reply to Outlook 2000 Auto Reply e ...

I would make a strong guess that your Exchange administrator has disabled in Exchange the option to forward e-mail to an Internet account by a rule. Some firms (mine does) do this for security purposes, they don't want users to, say, have all theirmail redirected to their yahoo account when they're on vacation. The effect of implementing this policy also blocks the out of office reply from going to internet mail addresses.

Hope this helps....

Collapse -

by Charger Media In reply to Outlook 2000 Auto Reply e ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Outlook 2000 Auto Reply e ...

It is definitely an option that has been disabled on your Exchange server - not necessarily all forwarding to external addresses, but in Exch 5.5 there is an option to prevent autoreply messages from being sent to any external addresses. This is probably what was done. If this is done by policy of your company, there's nothing you can do to change it. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

I found it and enabled it, thanks.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)