General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

OUTLOOK 2000 Backup

by chague ·

Hello,

We have a problem at work with an overloaded email account. The worker is way over the ‘limit’ (which we cannot enforce on him). He likes the way with Outlook he can organise/view his old messages by date/subject/sender etc. He wants to be able to always access them this way.

To accommodate this person, we want to be able to back-up his messages on a CD (or if necessary on the main-server) in a format that he can open them in outlook without actually re-importing them permanently into his inbox each time. Then we can delete his in-box and sent items.

I have done a backup in PST format, but, when he opens it in his inbox, all the messages are re-imported into a subfolder in the inbox – and we are back to square one. The only solution I can offer at the moment is to delete that subfolder every time after he has accessed his backed-up messages. But this is not a great solution.

I’d appreciate some ideas. Thanks.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

OUTLOOK 2000 Backup

by snillum33 ·

In reply to OUTLOOK 2000 Backup

This works for my often-over-loaded pst:

-Click the item you want to save as a file.

-On the ‘File’ menu, click ‘Save As’.

-In the ‘Save in’ box, select the location where you want to save the file.

-In the ‘File name’ box, rename if required, (I usually leave it as the email subject).

-In the ‘Save as type’ box, click the drop-down and select ‘Message Format(*.msg)’.

Click ‘Save’ and you’re done.

Any attachments are saved as well

These .msg files can be saved to hard drive or cd and will open in with outlook.

OUTLOOK 2000 Backup

by gr@ndcri ·

I don’t know what you did exactly but the .pst file it’s the best way to backup a mailbox’s.

Example: Exchange server environment— If a mailbox is over size limits (and the user need to keep these information). There are 2 solutions –increaseis limits or create a pst file to downsize the mailbox.
      When you create a pst you can put the file where ever you want except on cd?s are Rom(read only memory) so you can?t open a pst from a cd.

How to create a pst:
      File-new-Personal Folder File?Type the name for you file and select the path–OK
      After the pst creation:
      In Outlook in the folder list you’ll see the exchange mailbox and a personal folder(.pst). There are no rules that import the pst in the inbox. The information?s are at todifferent places?on the server and where you had created your pst. The good thing with a pst is that you can drop down emails and folders easily. I think that?s exactly what you want to do.

OUTLOOK 2000 Backup

by chague ·

Thanks very much. Sorry for the long delay in replying – though I used your suggestions right away, I couldn’t get round to answering you sooner. Thanks again

OUTLOOK 2000 Backup

by curlergirl ·

You need to use the archiving capabilities of Outlook 2000 to archive the items from his Exchange mailbox to a set of Archive folders. The Archive folders are essentially a special kind of .pst file that is used when you enable archiving in Outlook. The basic setup is to enable archiving in the Tools/Options/Other settings, then go to the properties of each folder that you want to archive and set the archiving options for that folder (i.e., # of days old an item has to be before it is archived). Any subfolders have to be similarly set up as to archiving properties. Once this is done, the archive.pst will automatically create the new subfolders, etc., as items are archived. You should probably read the Outlook help info on archiving before setting this up so that you understand the settings and how they interact. We usually put the archive.pst file in a server shared folder (usually the user’s home folder) so that it gets backed up as well. Hope this helps!

OUTLOOK 2000 Backup

by chague ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 3 reply threads