General discussion

Outlook 2000 crashes when trying to send/receive emails

By BigTex79 ·
Last night my father called me with an interesting problem with Outlook 2000 on one of his friends systems. When opens Outlook 2000 it attempts to perform an automatic send/receive but then just closes automatically. There are no error messages of any kind that appear. I had him download and install Teamviewer so I could remote in and check things out. I checked the event viewer and found absolutely no error recorded regarding Outlook. I was finally able to stop it from closes by turning off the automatic send/receive upon opening Outlook but when ever I click on send/receive it attempts then closes promptly. Here is what we did:

- Uninstalled Outlook and reinstalled it; result: no change to issue
- Deleted his POP3 profile and recreate it; result: no change to issue
- Uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2000; result: no change to issue
- Ran Outlook in safe mode (start > run > outlook /safe); result: no change to issue

My father did tell me he had some some system updates and I noticed Windows XP SP3 was on the system. The only thing that I saw in the event viewer that did cause me some pause was there are 2 instances regarding bad blocks on the HDD but other than that nothing regarding Outlook. I told my father the only thing I could think of was either 1) there is a virus on the system, 2) there was a system updated that was loaded that messed up the system, or 3) the hdd is bad. Is there anything I'm missing and has anyone else experienced this issue before?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Back to Malware Forum
0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)