General discussion

Outlook 2000 (Mystery Attachment)

By Ryan Darge ·
I have a user in our network that is running outlook 2000 connected to a exchange 5.5 server. He has been getting replies (only from outside e-mail addresses, not in-house) that people can't open the attachments he's sending. The only problem is he's not clicking on the paperclip icon to send any attachments to the receiptents. The attachment that is displayed has a name on it refering to the subject of the e-mail. It does not show up when he opens the "New Message Window" How can we stop these mysterious attachments from going out in his e-mail. I have re-installed outlook 2 times & ran a virus scan only to come up empty handed.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by SyscoKid In reply to Outlook 2000 (Mystery Att ...

He's undoubtedly sending messages in Rich Text Format or html to recipients whose email program can't handle RTF or html. The RTF/html encoding shows up as an attachment, I forget the extension, could be .dat or .att.

Have him change to sending text only and see if the complaints stop.

Collapse -

by Ryan Darge In reply to Outlook 2000 (Mystery Att ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Stillatit In reply to Outlook 2000 (Mystery Att ...

Is he using any kind of stationery, logo, custom form, etc., or is he using Word as his editor? Check also that he has not included something in his signature. Outlook packages a lot of stuff as attachments on outgoing, and un-does it on incoming. If the recipient is not using Outlook, the recipient will see attachments.

Good luck.

Collapse -

Thanks. I have made the changes and I haven't heard a peep.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)