General discussion

Outlook 2000 mystery

By david ·
Our office has 2 identical Dell Dimension boxes. Both have the same trouble with their respective user's email. Outlook 2000 keeps giving the following error when attempting to send or receive email. "The TCP/IP connection to your mail server was unexpectedly terminated. See your administrator....." I tried the same 2 users profile on a different Dell machine and they work fine! After several minor remedies that did not solve the problem, i formatted the hard drive and re-installed a fresh copyof all applications. Well the problem has not gone. I checked the server for permissions issues, no joy there. I checked Microsoft's site for this error, but found nothing helpful. I am stuck now, the only thing i can think of is hardware, but the rest of the machine functions ok, including internet access. Please help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Outlook 2000 mystery

by kdrungilas In reply to Outlook 2000 mystery

Your problem does seem to be related to the local machine, not to the mailbox. Assuming that you are using the same OS as the rest of your group, and the same Outlook versions, and used your company's standard installations, I'd have to ask if thisis a new pc model? IF no...

Are you connecting to an Exchange server in your company or to an isp? If to your own EX server, what protocol do you usually use to authenticate? If it is tcp/ip, then have you checked your rpc binding order on the new Dells? Tcp/ip should be the first protocol listed on the workstations (and also on your EX server for better network performance.) See Microsoft Q163576 for more info on exact HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instructions.

Collapse -

Outlook 2000 mystery

by david In reply to Outlook 2000 mystery

Thanks for the answer, but it did not help much because we use an isp for email and the machines in question are 2 yrs old. They suddenly exhibited these symptoms independantly with no configuration changes done by me.

Collapse -

Outlook 2000 mystery

by kdrungilas In reply to Outlook 2000 mystery

OK...let's try another angle. You said you "checked the server"--what server and what did you check for? Even after re-installing all programs, you are still having same issue?

Something must have changed in the environment at the time these users started having problems. Were there any DNS changes? or ip address changes? Could a firewall be preventing their access based on their ip addresses?

Collapse -

Outlook 2000 mystery

by david In reply to Outlook 2000 mystery

Thanks for your continued interest kd. When i say checked the server i meant... to see if the users' rights or permissions had been changed, they seemed fine so i did look at the DNS settings on the same (only) server. Nothing jumped out at me here either. Only 2 people can access the server and the other guy is stumped too. The problem still exists, but i gave the 2 users access to another machine (a new Dell) which they can get their mail through the same account, no problem. No network changes have been made (we are a small office)at all. The only thing i can think of is the NIC's might be bad. I will install a new one tomorrow and see what happens!!

Collapse -

by aljen In reply to Outlook 2000 mystery

I have found this problem on several occasions and it seems likeit was network connectivity issues. I fixed one with a NIC driver update and one I had to scale the NIC back to 10Mbs

Collapse -

by DEREKHYPS In reply to Outlook 2000 mystery

unexpectedly is the key., check your hub,swap out nic card, move pc to a different known working port. force half duplex on nic instead of autonegotiate. it may be running in full duplex. Can't run full dup on a hub.

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)