Question

Outlook 2000 popserver and username changing

By jwolf ·
I am running XP Pro with Office 2000 sp3, my username and pop server keep getting changed by something on my system and at least two other users. The popserver changes to 127.0.0.1 and the username changes to username/popserver. Has anyone run into this problem before? If so how can I stop it from happening. I think the change is happening at a certain time when Outlook is shutdown. It does not seem to change when Outlook is already open.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Virus?

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Outlook 2000 popserver an ...

Have you run a complete system scan with your anti-virus software lately? What you describe are symptoms of infection of some sort. You DO run anti-virus software and keep it up to date, right? And, how about Windows Update critical patches? You're up to date, right?

Collapse -

Re: Visus

by jwolf In reply to Virus?

Have you run a complete system scan with your anti-virus software lately? What you describe are symptoms of infection of some sort. You DO run anti-virus software and keep it up to date, right? And, how about Windows Update critical patches? You're up to date, right?

I have run antivirus software which is current and all windows and ms office updates.

Collapse -

McAfee?

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Re: Visus

Are you running one of the McAfee products? I'm not sure it's still that way, but older versions of McAfee would always change the pop settings in the email account to 127.0.0.1 so that it could filter all incoming mail for you. If you are running this product, I suggest you read the user's manual. This process is explained there.

If you're not running McAfee, what product are you running? Maybe it does the same thing.

Collapse -

Avast does it too...

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Re: Visus

But, here are instructions concerning McAfee products, taken from the McAfee technical support forums.

------

Outlook Express is trying to access the SpamKiller Server that is installed in your system with the IP address 127.0.0.1 and the SpamKiller will access the original Email account and download your emails. This will ensure that the Spam emails don't directly get into your Outlook Express Inbox but instead will be filtered by the SpamKiller.

To resolve the issue with SpamKiller not filtering emails and unable to access the emails, you need to configure the email account with the SpamKiller.

If you use Outlook Express and have POP3 account, follow the instructions below:
http://tools.mcafeehelp.com/doc.php?...953&support=ts

--------

Outlook 2000 can be configured exactly like this, but the instructions on how to get to everything are a bit different.

Avast seems to do the same thing. Anti-spam filters actually get the mail. Outlook gets the mail from them, so your Outlook/Outlook Express POP email settings must be set to look first at your own computer (127.0.0.1) for a mail server (McAfee or Avast, maybe others).

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)