General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Outlook 2000 Public Folders w/o Exchange

by tjapkesg ·

Let me start off by saying that I have been unsuccessful at turning our Administrator on to the idea of Exchange, let alone validating the expense. We are in the beginning stages of purchasing and deploying Outlook 2000 which will connect to our SLMail server.

There are many features of Outlook that I have worked with when used in an Exchange environment that I am unsure will be available without it. The #1 features being shared folders and public (or team) folders.

Sharing personal folders does work, altho not with the security options I am used (of course). I have yet to find documentation for public folders that does not involve using Exchange. Sharing a PST file failed to work, since only one person at a time could access thefile.

Any suggestions for this or anything else for optimizing our Outlook usage without Exchange?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Outlook sharing without Exchange

by ronpierotti ·

In reply to Outlook 2000 Public Folders w/o Exchange

Exchange is great, as you know. I have set up shared calendars using Outlook 2000 in companies that don’t want to buy exchange. You set up a postoffice on a machine. It comes with windows 95 and is on win98 cd in the “old95” directory. I think this directory is in the Tools directory.

Anyway, after setting up the postoffice and creating users, you configure Microsoft Mail or “corporate or workgroup” setting in outlook 2000. Then the person that wants to share his or her calendar, sends and email using this newly created microsoft mail system and the recipients respond that they accept the invitation. Now they all can see and upate the calendar.

Much more cumbersome and not as good as exchange.

Viewing 0 reply threads