General discussion

Outlook 2002

By rmessier ·
For the past 2 weeks I have been unable to send an email from my ISP who is Comcast. I am running XP Pro, with MS Office Pro, NAV 2003, XP SP2. Everything has been okay till recently when I noticed my outgoing email was still sitting there. Outlook gives me several different messages like:

Task 'mail.comcast.net - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Sending 0 of 3; Removing downloaded messages from server.

I have contacted my ISP and they say they don't support Outlook, just Outlook Express. I have verified all the information in my profile is correct. I have deleted my profile and made another one with the same information, still it won't send, it will just receive mail.
I did notice that my outbox says there is 1 of 3 tasks processing, but I am only sending one message. Nothing else is in the outbox for Outlook.
Anyone experiencing the same problem with outgoing email? Please advise.
Thx...rfm

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rindi1 In reply to Outlook 2002

My bet is you have that problem since you installed Windows XPs Servicepack 2? After an upgrade to SP2 M$ just turns the firewall on by default without asking. Although a firewall is agood thing, it is in my opinion bad policy to turn this on by default on a running system. Most users who use XP aren't techies and probably had many problems after the upgrade. Also, many users already have a third party firewall installed, and usually two of them bite each other (after sp2 upgrade you also have to patch or upgrade those third party products, Symantec's internet security is such an example). Turn off your microsoft windows firewall and your Outlook should work. If that is the case you will either have to setup your Microsoft firewall to allow Outlook to send mail, or if you already have another firewall installed, make sure you have the newest version, then turn the microsft one off for good.

Collapse -

by rmessier In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by EdLockett In reply to Outlook 2002

I have a machine that has suffered from this problem for 8 months. In my case it is definitely not related to SP2's firewall or to any other firewall/anti-virus/anti-spam software.
I have tried different versions of outlook to no avail, even a complete reinstall of the operating system but the problem came back after a few weeks. I have been unable to get any useful help from MS, ISP techs, or my affiliates, and although I have had some good ideas after asking several times here on Techrepublic, I have not found a solution to the problem.
If it is the same problem that I have, then you will find that Outlook Express WILL still send mail. This is the only workaround I have come up with. Please post back and let me know, as we seem to be the only two people in the world to experience this issue. Let me know whether or not your office update works as expected too.
There is an (irrelevant in my case) article in the KB that describes these symptoms when your server expects both SSL and SPA. I have verified with my ISP that their servers require neither. In addition, the issue is said to be resolved in XP SP3, which I have installed to no positive effect.
What sort of anti-virus and firewall are you using? Any anti-spam or surf control software installed at any point? Just in case we can find some common factors.

Collapse -

by EdLockett In reply to

Arse. Wish the solution was that easy in my case ;-)

Collapse -

by rmessier In reply to

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to Outlook 2002

Do you have any other software on your PC such as Anti-spam, filtering or other software that my interfere with mail before being sent out.
Outlook can work exactly like OE.

Have you set up email as on their FAQ page:
http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/FaqDetail_2288.html ?

How are you connecting? Dial up or Broadband?
Is your Modem set up correctly for login, DNS etc.?

Collapse -

by rmessier In reply to

Collapse -

by rmessier In reply to Outlook 2002

Here is the latest:
After calling my ISP (Comcast) about 8 times and reporting the problem, I finally got someone that read to me what was going on. Abuse@Comcast.net blocked my IP address for SPAM on October 19th, about the same time frame I was having problems with my internet service going up and down for the past few weeks. I have been thru ****, reloaded OS and applications and now they tell me what has really happended. I'm upset that didn't have time to call the customer and tell me they were shutting me down or even snail mail whould have been nice. Good LUCK to ALL...rfm

Collapse -

by rmessier In reply to Outlook 2002

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums