Question

Outlook 2002 reply email shows up with wingding fonts?

By scndtnr ·
The scenario: user sends an email from Outlook; recipient replies; user replies back--and recipient can't read the email because the font has changed to wingdings. User checks Sent Items, and discovers that the 2nd reply is indeed using wingding fonts. To complicate matters, this does not happen all the time; occurrences are random and items appear to have nothing in common other than the issue itself. Forwarding the 2nd reply to me (the support person) from the Sent Items folder does not display the problem. Setup: Outlook 2002/Exchange 2000; mail format set to HTML and Use Word as Editor box is checked.

I'm going to test unchecking Word as Editor, but I'm wondering if anybody has any other ideas on how to fix this uncommon issue.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Check the default reply settings

In outlook click on tools -> options.
then click on the mail format tab
click on the stationary and fonts button
there is a section "Replying or forwarding message"
verify the font there. This would have to be on the senders and receivers computer. this can happen when people use wingding fonts for emoticons. If one of the clients in the chain isn't an outlook client then it may not be interpreting the wingding correctly and converting it to something else.

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by scndtnr In reply to Check the default reply s ...

In Outlook 2002, the Stationery and Fonts buttons are separate, so the procedure oulined here is not entirely applicable. Additionally, the wingding font appears on both the recipient's email AND in the sender's Sent Items folder, and neither user is intentionally using either emoticons or wingdings. However, I did verify that the font selections in the user's setup are standard fonts (Arial, Verdana, etc.).

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)