General discussion

Outlook 2003 and IE not responding

By hal.potter ·
I have a user that has a Dell Optiplex 280 with WinXP Pro, an 80 GB HD (66 Gig free) and 1GB RAM. When he opens MS Outlook 2003 the processor hits 100%, the fans start racing and outlook won't respond. Opening IE also does the same thing. When opening Firefox, it works just fine. Even opening Firefox with IE and/or Outlook open and not responding firefox and other programs will work. It is just those two programs. I have run a virus/spyware scan and found no problems. I have also defraged the HD and it is good.

This has happened several times, each time I reinstall windows and all the apps and it works for a while, then the problem returns. This time it has been fine for almost 4 months. Now the problem has returned.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this and what the case could be and how to fix it. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Pendal1 In reply to Outlook 2003 and IE not r ...

That's a good one Hal. The problem seems like it's buried in the registry. Not sure if a utility like registry first aid would help you scan the registry for any corrupt/invalid entries. Beyond this, to settle this problem once and for all you may have to format that puppy to truly have a clean slate. Keep us informed.

Collapse -

by hal.potter In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by hal.potter In reply to Outlook 2003 and IE not r ...

In the past that is how I fixed the problem. Wipe the hard drive, reinstall windows and his programs from scratch. This has solved the problem for a time, then it returns. It has been almost 4 months since the last wipe/reinstall and I would like to know if anyone knows what could cause the problem so we don't have to go through the wipe/install process each time. I will try the registry cleaner utilities to see if that helps. thanks.

Collapse -

by w2ktechman In reply to Outlook 2003 and IE not r ...

try disabling add-ins 1 at a time. Even if it is not Spyware, per-se, they may be causing issues.
Also, look through manually and review running processes. If you do not see any suspicious ones, open Outlook or IE. see if anything else started running.
Also, log on as a different user and see if the issue is still there

Collapse -

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to Outlook 2003 and IE not r ...

This may sound strange but check the four LED?s on the back of the computer. They are there to tell you if there is a problem. What might be wrong is the on board nic may be bad and not showing until the computer reaches a certain load. It could be trying to send or receive a signal and locking up the processor. Try a different computer at that station. Check the port and run a long-term analysis on it. Just a thought.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Outlook 2003 and IE not r ...

Well this isn't a common problem so it has to be something directly related to this unit or how it's being used.

I would first run both AV & Spy Ware Scanners over it in Safe Mode as you are more likely to pickup problems in Safe Mode as apposed to the conventional Windows Mode where everything is running.

If that comes up clean you can try Iolo's System Mechanic to see if it will cure the problem there is a 30 day trial available at

http://www.iolo.com/sm/6/index.cfm

If that works you may have found a solution to your problem but be very careful with it and don't chose the Remove Duplicate Items option as it will trash the OS. But if you just run a Registry Cleaner over it it might do some good.

If it solves the problem the customer might like to actually buy the product as it's very useful but I would recommend that you steer clear of the Pro version as it only has an AV package in it and has a limited life expectancy while the plain System Mechanic will run for years once installed and activated.

Col

Collapse -

Collapse -

by hal.potter In reply to Outlook 2003 and IE not r ...

well here is some more strangeness. I brought the computer to my office to reimage and it worked just fine. I did go a head and ran the registry cleaning software and more spyware/virus scans as suggested to clean everything up. There were no viruses/spyware problems, but the registry cleaner fix a lot of stuff. When I took the comptuer back to his office, it worked fine there as well. The only thing that was different was his HP PDA was not plugged into the cradle so MS Active Sync was not running. Maybe the problem is with Active Sync. So when he is in next I will see if that is the problem. Thanks for all the help.

Back to Desktop Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next