Question

Outlook 2003 Locks Up

By BigAbe ·
I am working on a clients Laptop that is experiencing Outlook lock up issues.
The lock up happens just after opening Outlook and when an email is attempted to be opened, or anything done within the email folders or lists. I am able to navigate through different menus without problems, such as file, tools, etc. as long as it does not change anything with emails. Once a change or access is attempted it just stops.

Another peculiar point, is that it will not display "Not Responding" in the title bar or in Task Manager. The event viewer just shows an "Application Hang" event ID 1002 and 1001.

The most recent change was they had Verizon FIOS installed and a bunch of the Verizon software was installed.

OS - XPSP2
RAM - 1.25 GB
8 GB Free Disk Space
IE 7

Things I have done so far:
-Increased page file size
-Defrag
-Virus Scan/Adware.
-Removed any unecessary startup programs
-Performed a Detect and Repair on Office 2003
-Performed a repair of Outlook
-Researched the newest MS KB articles installed dont conflict
-Disabled Norton Antivirus and Restore Point
-googled

At this point I am not sure where to go next. I will continue to look into 3rd party software conflicts. I would appreciate additional suggestions.

Thanks! Abe

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

A few things to try

by zlitocook In reply to Outlook 2003 Locks Up

Here is a MS KB about the error messages.
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=e4334f16-9760-491c-bd7b-dada1f490541&SID=1500

Reset the Outlook toolbar template. With Outlook close, do a search for and rename outcmd.dat file. Restart Outlook.

Outcmd.dat is located in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder. It is a hidden file, so you have to unhide hidden files. Go to any folder and select Tools > Folders Options > View. Check "Show hidden files and folders". Click OK.

Register an important Outlook file. Go to Start > Run and type regsvr32 OLE32.DLL
Do the same for INETCOMM.DLL

Disable Outlook Addins. Go to Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Addin Manager or COMM/Addins and disable the addins.

Check if an external program running in the background is interfering with Outlook. Check Firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antispam, and all Norton programs. Disable these programs one at a time.

Create a new Outlook profile.
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/profile.htm

Reinstall Outlook. Go to Add/Remove Programs and highlight Microsoft Office. Click on Install/Uninstall. A menu will pop allowing you to choose repair or reinstall.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291614

Collapse -

Zilto's covered most things

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to A few things to try

About all that's left is to disable any Spam Filters that may be running on that NB if none of the above works.

Personally I would think that it's the User Account that's become corrupt as that is fairly common with Outlook. Can you delete the current User's Profile and recreate it without he system hanging?

Col

Collapse -

Fixed

by BigAbe In reply to Zilto's covered most thin ...

I found two areas that seemed to be causing the issues. One a 3rd party program, ACT, which She uses for her business and had attempted to setup outlook email functions. This appears to have been causing the lockups and messed with the SQL server running the MS business contact manager.

I removed the ACT connection and suggested she upgrade her ACT to the latest version, before attempting to setup the connection to Outlook again. I also updated the business contact manager.

Back to Malware Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)