Question

Outlook 2003 long delay when attaching Word or Excel files only

By adrian.ayson ·
Running WinXP, and Office 2003. In Outlook, there is a long delay (2-3 minutes) when attaching a Word or Excel file into an outgoing message. Hard drive churns the whole time.

* Delay happens only with Word and Excel files. PDF files, for example, will attach instantly.
* This delay happens only in the first instance of the computer session. That is, the delay does not happen again until the machine is restarted. I can exit Outlook and go into it again later and there is no delay when attaching a word or excel file.
* Files being attached are in local drive. The is no network involved.
* The computer does not freeze during this delay. I can toggle to other windows and work normally, albeit slowly.

I use other computers with seemingly identical configurations and there is never a delay in attaching files.

Theories?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Outlook profile corrupt, too big?

by robo_dev In reply to Outlook 2003 long delay w ...

If you start outlook in safe mode, does the symptom remain?

Click the Start button and type this in the Open box field. add the quotes.
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\Outlook.exe" /safe

If that works check your addins:
In Outlook click Tools ~ Options ~ Other ~ Advanced Options ~ Addin Manager.
Uncheck all and restart Outlook. If things work normal, check each addin one by one and restart to see which one is causing the problem.

Are there mapped drives to servers, printers, or other devices that do not exist?

There is not a Novell client on this PC by any chance, is there?

Collapse -

re: Outlook profile corrupt, too big?

by adrian.ayson In reply to Outlook profile corrupt, ...

Thanks for the suggestion. But safe mode made no difference. Also, I had already uninstalled all add-ins. There are no mapped drives at all, and no it is not a Novell client. And the machine is certainly clean of viruses, rootkits, etc.

And, I've cleaned and compressed the PST file: it's now down to 200MB, down from 600MB. But all made no difference.

Collapse -

Similar problem

by dschrock In reply to Outlook 2003 long delay w ...

Hi Adrian,

I have an almost identical issue, except it is happening intermittently, and not just with attachments. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but was wondering if you have come up with anything yet. It is confounding, as, I am not getting the usual error messages. Thanks.

Doug

Collapse -

How long has it been since...

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Outlook 2003 long delay w ...

... you've cleaned the TEMP files, especially those located in the Outlook Secure Temp folder (OLK??), as well as all other temp files located throughout the computer?

We were having a similar issue on one computer. Cleaning temp files has cleared up the problem, for now.

In My Computer, right click drive C and choose Properties. Under the General tab, click Disk Cleanup. Let it clean all temp files.

You might also locate your Outlook Secure Temp folder and clean it out. This is a hidden folder and the location is shown in the registry. You can only navigate to this folder by putting the path directly into the Explorer address bar.

---------
MS KB817878

Outlook 2003
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security

Value Name: OutlookSecureTempFolder
Data Type: REG_SZ

Outlook 2007
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Security

Value Name: OutlookSecureTempFolder
Data Type: REG_SZ

If the value exists, and if the value contains a valid path, Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 uses that location for its temporary files.

If the registry value does not exist, or if it points to an invalid location, Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 creates a new subdirectory under the Temporary Internet Files directory and puts the temporary file in the new subdirectory. The name of the new subdirectory is unknown, is randomly generated, and takes on the following form, depending on your version of Outlook.

Outlook 2003
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKxxx
In this example, username is the user name that is used by the person who is currently logged on to the computer, and xxx is a randomly generated sequence of letters and numbers.

Outlook 2007
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\xxxxxxxx

Note In Windows Vista, the temporary file resides in the following location:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\xxxxxxxx

In this example, username is the user name that is used by the person who is currently logged on to the computer, and xxxxxxxx is a randomly-generated sequence of letters and numbers.

Collapse -

re: How long has it been since...

by adrian.ayson In reply to How long has it been sinc ...

Thanks for the suggestion. OLK folder is empty, and did the TEMP file cleanup. Have also deleted .SRS and .DAT files. No improvement though.

The weird part is that the delay happens only once, after a restart. After that all files attach instantly, until I shut down the machine and the cycle starts over again.

Collapse -

Mapped drive

by unhappyuser In reply to Outlook 2003 long delay w ...

Do you have any mapped drives? Is one of them no longer valid? I had this issue awhile ago and discovered it by chance.

My other thought would be AV or a corrupt profile.

Goood luck!

EMD

Back to Hardware Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)