Question

• Creator
    Topic

Outlook 2003 Not Saving POP3 Password

by sgrabo ·

I’ve been down every discussion, thread and link looking for the answer to this and NOTHING is working. I’ve got 2 PC’s with this problem and have also tried everything in Article 290684 on MS Website. Anybody got anything else for me?

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by sgrabo ·

In reply to Outlook 2003 Not Saving POP3 Password

Clarifications

re: Outlook 2003 and password

by thumbsup2 ·

It would be helpfull if you listed everything that you did do. Telling us that you’ve “tried everything” doesn’t help. And, by “nothing is working”, what do you mean? Tell us exactly what has/has not been done.

You didn’t mention if you actually recreated your profile by going through the control panel. Did you delete the old profile?

What other software do you have installed? Some may prevent a password from being saved. Antivirus? Spyware? Firewall? Other?

Did you look at this MS article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281791/en-us

It is written for Outlook 2002, but would apply to 2003 as well if the specific conditions mentioned are present on your system.

Article 281791

by sgrabo ·

In reply to re: Outlook 2003 and password

No, the article you mentioned doesn’t apply to my situation. What I have tried, as mentioned in my first post, was everything in article 290684. That article has most of the information found singularly in seperate articles, that’s why I referred to it so you’d know what I had tried. I’ve been through every resolution in that article at least twice. Every suggestion I’ve heard that applies to my “scenario” is in that article.

These 2 PC’s have had outlook on them for years and within a week of each other, came up with the same issue.

I just wanted to know if there was anything else I could try that I haven’t already.

What else is installed?

by thumbsup2 ·

In reply to Article 281791

What else is installed on these two pc’s that might prevent passwords from beging saved? Yahoo toolbar, Google toolbar, Google desktop, McAfee Internet Security, etc….?

Also, in all of these posts, you have not described what the full problem is. All you’ve said is that Outlook 2003 won’t save POP3 passwords. What operating system? What antivirus/antispyware is installed? When did the problem start? What happened right before the problem started? Etc…, etc…, etc…

We can’t help diagnose problems without full details. You are our eyes…. We can’t see the computers from here.

What is installed

by sgrabo ·

The PC’s are virtually identical except that one runs AutoCad and the other doesn’t. They both run XP Pro, Norton A/V, Office, Steets and Trips, nothing they haven’t been running for over a year. The symptom just popped up one day when they went to retrieve email. That’s why I didn’t think any of that was significant. I asked if anything had been changed/installed and they said no but one user said he thought his desktop looked “different” (icons moved, taskbar rearranged) when he brought it up the day the problem started, but he wasn’t sure. Let me know if you need anything more specific and I can ask.

I don’t know…………

by thumbsup2 ·

In reply to What is installed

If you have followed the instructions in KB290684, including starting Outlook in safe mode, stopping all COM add-ins and editing the registry, I guess you’ll need to call Microsoft Support as the article describes.

I’m out of ideas.

Thanx

by sgrabo ·

In reply to I don’t know…………

I’ve actually went thru the article 3 times from front to back on the one machine just to be sure I didn’t miss anything.
          Thanx anyway, Thumbs.

Was a solution found. I am also having this problem.

by deborahhu ·

In reply to Thanx

I am also having this problem. I have gone through KB290684 and the group send recommendation multiple times. It does not work. My problem is on a Compaq Presario V6000 with Windows XP SP2 running Outlook 2003 SP3 (along with the rest of Office Professional), Norton Corporate 10.1 antivirus.

Sounds Familiar

by sgrabo ·

In reply to Was a solution found. I am also having this problem.

I’ve never found a resolution and for now, the users are just typing their passwords a few times a day to retreive their mail manually. My machines are running the same config as yours except they’re Dells and I have 30 others that work fine.
          Maybe the Norton? We should search Symantec’s site. Let me know if you find something.

Worth a try

by ic-it ·

In reply to Thanx

Verify that IE settings are not interferring. Open Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Content Tab, Auto complete Button. Make sure the “Use Auto Complte For” section has the password one checked.

Outlook POP3 password not saved

by mvitod ·

In reply to Worth a try

I have the same issue as described by the previous posts. I too have tried Article# 290684 several times. I have two POP3 accounts that just stopped working yesterday. I had just installed a Cisco VPN software when I noticed it was not working anymore. I have not un-installed it yet, but I am thinking about it. I need it to complete some work first.

Passwords not saved everywhere

by mvitod ·

In reply to Outlook POP3 password not saved

I uninstalled the Cisco VPN. I was upgraded to MS Office Standard 2007. My Outlook 2007 would not connect to our Exchange Server. Several people and a couple of un-installs and re-installs of Office 2007 and I have Office 2007 minus Outlook 2007. I was reverted back to Outlook 2003 because we could not get it to work with Exchange in Outlook 2007. Well my passwords are still not being saved for more than just Outlook. My PDA has a password, and every time I sync it prompts me to type it in and it works fine. I installed the Beta Google Toolbar and it will not save my profile info for Auto fill. This was working with the previous version of Google Toolbar. I also installed the Google Calendar Outlook Sync utility and it will not save my email and password. So I think this password not saving business is all Microsoft and it is in the registry. I have tried the Microsoft Fix Q290684, and it does not work. Anyone got anything else to try. Before all the install and uninstalls of outlook I tried to delete my email accounts, except Exchange. I deleted my profile and recreated it. I moved the offline PST files I use for archives to a new location. The Exchange server connection is Cached to my hard drive, so I disabled that and deleted the OST file created and let it get re-created and re-enabled the Caching. Then all the upgrades and reverting to 2003 Outlook happened. I was really hoping for this to all go away, and it didn’t. I am completely out of ideas. Any new ideas to try?

Protected storage possibly?

by shelli_2005 ·

In reply to Passwords not saved everywhere

Is the protected storage service running?
          Also, I don’t know if it will help but it can’t hurt to try this:
          Go to
          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
          Set disablepasswordcaching to 0
          If its not there, create it.
          You may or may not have to reboot.
          Good luck!

Protected storage running + more

by mvitod ·

In reply to Outlook POP3 password not saved

I started looking for other areas in Windows that Passwords were not being saved. I came across a post elsewhere about Protected Storage, IIS Admin, and World Wide Web Publishing Services.

My Protected Storage was Auto and running, but the WWW Publishing was Manual and will not run due to dependencies on IIS Admin. My IIS Admin is was Manual and will crash if I try to run it.

I looked up the IIS Admin System Event error code provided and it was referring to corrupted MMC. I have not tried to implement the Microsoft article 234429 “How to manually restore the metabase when no proper backup exists or when the MMC does not start”.

I will reboot now to test the registry key addition of:
          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
          DisablePasswordCaching=0 (REG_DWORD)

If that does not work, I will attempt the MMC restoration described in article 234429. Something will evetually get this to remember my passwords.

Viewing 2 reply threads