Question

Outlook 2007 behaving strangely -- I'm stumped

By jgresham ·
For some reason, Outlook 2007 tries to install some component of "Windows XP Professional with FrontPage" whenever I try to open any JPG file attached to an email ... it searches for a path to the file "PROPLUS.MSI" ... (!?)

I am running XP MCE/2002 SP3 on this Toshiba laptop.

I *do* have FrontPage 2002 installed -- it is the only installed component of of an earlier version of Microsoft Office (Office XP w Frontpage).

These applications have coexisted without any problems for over a year. The Outlook/JPG issue is fairly recent, and I have no clue what is causing it. Nothing major has changed -- only regular MS updates, Firefox updates, etc.

I've looked at Outlook's Trust Center, Options, and Customize sections and didn't find anything relevant, though it is entirely possible I overlooked something. Several Google searches have also failed to turn up anything relevant ...

Anybody? Thanks in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Have a look at this

by seanferd In reply to Outlook 2007 behaving str ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830335

Either an Office update broke something (probably by changing a registry entry).

Check this entry - this is how it should look:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\FrontPage]
"UserData"=dword:00000001

And make sure there isn't a similar entry (there shouldn't be) for Office 12. See that the entry for Outlook 12 is also correct, but the problem may be that there are two different versions installed, but the install files for both are not present. This also might be caused by the updated Windows Installer (which installs MSI packages) being confused by the presence of an older Office component.

Do the jpeg images eventually display, or the email open, after getting past the install dialog?

Collapse -

Thanks for the helpful response

by jgresham In reply to Have a look at this

That KB article seemed to make more sense than anything else I've seen -- and like you I'm left to suspect the problem was probably caused by some MS update or another.

The registry appears to be in order, at least insofar as the Office/10.0/FrontPage key being intact (and no Office/12.0 counterpart).

It got me wondering if I couldn't just delete all the Office 10.0 and 11.0 keys except the needed FrontPage one ... I may try exporting them and then deleting them just to see what happens.

To answer your question -- no, I always cancel the PROPLUS.MSI search and therefore cannot view any attached JPEG from within Outlook -- very irritating, but not a show-stopper as I can always drag them onto the desktop and view them there.

I guess I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling FrontPage and see if that makes any difference. I'm hoping to avoid doing the same with Office 12, as the nazi OGA validator was very quirky the first time around.

Thanks again, and if you have any other ideas, I'm all ears.

Blessings ...

Collapse -

Perhaps a repair install?

by seanferd In reply to Thanks for the helpful re ...

T%ry a repair from the Add or remove programs wizard in control panel. Select MS Office 2007 > Change > Repair. I would hope it wouldn't call for re-validation, how dumb would that be?

Say, do you use Office Add-ons? They have been know to cause all sorts of problems.

Collapse -

Found the problem

by jgresham In reply to Perhaps a repair install?

As you initially opined, something had altered my registry. Upon reinstalling FrontPage the problem persisted -- but since I had the Office XP CD (read: installer files) handy, I decided to go ahead and let Outlook install whatever it was looking for, just to see what it would do.

What it installed was the old MS photo editor (PhotoEd.exe). Further investigation revealed that the registry key HKCR\jpegfile\shell\Open\command had been set to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\PhotoEd\PHOTOED.EXE\" "%1" ...

I modified the key to point to "rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1" (no quotes) which reestablished the prior functionality. Further snooping revealed that the corresponding HKCR\giffile key had likewise been changed, so I repaired it also. Curiously, the analogous bitmap, PNG and TIFF keys were all intact and had not been altered(!?)

As an aside, the installation of PhotoEd.exe did in fact "fix" the Outlook/JPG viewing issue, albeit Outlook obviously began using PhotoEd to load the images, rather than the Picture/Fax viewer which I prefer because it is much faster.

I'm left scratching my head as to (1) what changed those registry entries and (2) why it was necessary to reinstall PhotoEd.exe -- I don't recall having uninstalled it (and see no reason to do so even now).

Equally curious is why JPGs were loaded normally by the Picture/Fax Viewer *from the desktop* even while Outlook was insisting on Photoed.Exe ...

I've chalked it all up to a Microsoft "feature" that I'm obviously not bright enough to appreciate ... <chuckle>

Thanks for your thoughts and help with a very strange experience indeed -- maybe our conversation will be useful to others in similar straits.

Blessings ...

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)