General discussion

Outlook 2k, IE 5.01 & HTML ****

By ironchef ·
I've got some users who cannot print HTML from outlook 2k or IE 5.01. They use Win 98. Those using Win 95 and Win 2k have no problems. I'm running Exchange off of Small Business Server 4.5. My printer is a Xerox 4517.

The reported error is with gdi.exe but that is just gibberish to me.

I'd try netscape or IE 4.x but that would not help me in Outlook 2k. I'd also try going back to Outlook 97, but that causes licensing problems as Outlook 97 registers as multiple users on Exchage 5.5for SBS 4.5 meaning I run out of licenses if I do this (another long story).

I've tried enabling printing of background colors/images in IE, to no effect.

I also tried re-installing both Outlook 2k and IE 5.01 but to no effect.

I'd just force everyone to use RTF mail, but my boss insists on using HTML for reasons unknown to me (other than giving me a headache).

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by waifoon In reply to Outlook 2k, IE 5.01 & HTM ...

I experienced the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Try the following:-

1) Re-install printer driver.
2) Re-install Outlook 2K and IE 5.01.
3) Also, update all critical patches at the Microsoft website.

Collapse -

by ironchef In reply to Outlook 2k, IE 5.01 & HTM ...

I'm splitting the points as each of you has the same answer. I'd forgotten that one troubleshooting step was a total uninstall and reinstall. What a pain. And steveh, you're right--I should have checked for new printer drivers.

Collapse -

by steveh In reply to Outlook 2k, IE 5.01 & HTM ...

Unfortunately, there is only one solution to this problem. Your printer's drivers are not compatible with the HTML rendering engine(s) used by Win 98 and/or Outlook 2000 and/or IE 5.01. What you will have to do is to contact Xerox to see if there is a similar driver, or perhaps and updated driver, that you can use to run your printer. One that will be compatible with the rendering engines for your system.
The one other thing that I might try first, is to uninstall the driver, then uninstall all other programs. Reinstall the driver, then load only the essential items for IE or Outlook, and see if you can print your HTML. I believe you'll end up having to obtain a new driver in the long run.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Collapse -

by ironchef In reply to Outlook 2k, IE 5.01 & HTM ...

I'm splitting the points as each of you has the same answer. I'd forgotten that one troubleshooting step was a total uninstall and reinstall. What a pain. And steveh, you're right--I should have checked for new printer drivers.

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)