Question

Outlook Calendar 2003: Not enough memory.

By Sareborn ·
Currently, we are running Office/Outlook 2003 with Exchange server 2007. A few of our users manage a public calendar to keep events orgranzied for our office place. Recently they have started to recieve the message:

"Cannot open this item, there is not enough memory to perform this operation."

Now this happens when trying to open up the calendar, but, if they manage to get it open and want to add/delete something, get the a very similar message which I forgot to write down/screenshot but it is the same thing where it does say: "There is not enough memeory to perform this operation."

Any idea? ... this only happens with this one calendar and on different pc's/user accounts. And the PC's have plenty of memory themselves so there isnt any way they should be running out of memeory and its not limited to the single user.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

This may be related

by IC-IT In reply to Outlook Calendar 2003: No ...

Copied from Experts Exchange;

This is similar to an error you can see when you have edited a reocurring meeting too many times, each change of the original is called an exception, there is a limit of 248 exceptions that can be stored on a single master item.
To fix this type of error you would need to recreate the meeting (or upgrade to Outlook 2007 :) )....but it sounds like you tried that? When you created the new items, did you create new, from scratch, or edit an existing?

Collapse -

Re: This may be related

by Sareborn In reply to This may be related

All the items we have since tried to create have been from scratch.

I've heard a rumor but havent been able to find anything concrete on it, but that there might be a limit to the number of items (or just recurring items) in a calendar. Like I said, just a rumor to me though and not finding anything yet.

Collapse -

It is not a rumor

by IC-IT In reply to Re: This may be related

I found many instances where they state the 248 (as mentioned in my first post).

Collapse -

Links

by Sareborn In reply to It is not a rumor

Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to have a like to an article detailing this size limitation or know of a way to modify it?

Collapse -

Here you go

by IC-IT In reply to Links

The only options are to upgrade to 2007 or to delete and then re-create the recurring calendar item.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Outlook+2003+recurring+calendar+item+edit+limits&spell=1

Collapse -

Delete Old Meetings

by mhigg04 In reply to Here you go

I was having the same issue on a public calendar we have been using for about 5 years. We use outlook 2003 with exchange 2003. All of a sudden this week the meeting organizer got the "not enough memory" message no matter what pc she was on. I tried everything I knew to try and finally had her go back to 2004 and 2005 meetings and start deleting re-occuring meetings. Once she did, no more problems.

Collapse -

Try this out to see if it helps you....

If you display your calendar in a table view (By recurrence works best) can you highlight the event(s) and press delete? Do not open them, simply highlight them.

Does this happen when you try to delete just one item or alot of items if its alot then just do it in smaller batches also. try to highlight them and Shift+delete it..... this permanently deletes the item rather than moving it to your deleted items folder.
Then do the appointments from scratch.

Or:

First thing I would try is to clean up the forms cache.

To do so, follow these steps:
1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Click the Other tab, and then click Advanced Options.
3. Click Custom Forms.
4. Click Manage Forms.
5. Click Clear Cache.
6. Close all open windows, and then restart Outlook 2003.

If the above does not work, try the following.

Deleting the Forms Cache File:
The Frmcache.dat file is the primary file to delete. The Frmcache.dat
file serves as an index of the individual forms that have been cached
on the computer. Use the following steps to manually delete the
Frmcache.dat file. In addition, these steps delete all of the cached
forms on your computer, which are stored in subfolders of the
Forms folder.

1.. Quit Outlook.
2.. Search the Hard drive (<F3&gt to locate the Frmcache.dat file.
(Be sure to check in HIDDEN files on W2K or WXP.)
3.. Delete all that are found from the FIND window.
4.. Open Outlook.

When you restart Outlook, and use a form, the forms cache is re-created.

Back to Networks Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)