General discussion

Outlook Express

By owense ·
I had to install Win 98 2nd Edition to correct some problems with my computer. I saved the folders made while using Outlook Express. How do I get the Win 98 Outlook Express to recognize the old folders? I set up some folders with identical names under Win 98 since I needed to continue with my work. Is there also a way to incorporate foldersd with the same name into each other, and get everything recognized by Win 98 OExpress?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Outlook Express

by Stephen Brumbelow In reply to Outlook Express

The answer may depend on what you had before installing Win98 II. You can try this: look is under File> Identities> Manage_Identities menu item to see what choices are available there. I assume there will only be one: Main Identity. If that is so,click Tools> Options menu item. Click the Maintenance tab and the Store Folder button. This will allow you to change it to use your folders from before the upgrade. This will not fix the address book, but that's another question. Also, if you were on an older version of OE, the above may not work.

Collapse -

Outlook Express

by owense In reply to Outlook Express

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Outlook Express

by rgrowcock In reply to Outlook Express

You can try to import the old folders, but "allow duplicate folders", that way you won't lose any of your new information. Depending on how you saved the data before you upgraded, you should still be able to import that data. As either a "backup" or "archive" folder will give you the "allow duplicate folders" option with an import. Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Outlook Express

Collapse -

Outlook Express

by launenhaft In reply to Outlook Express

you should be able to just move the old .dbx files (assuming you when you saved them they were just a copy of the old .dbx files) to the following path:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

If you do that, when you pull up OE they will appear with the original data. If there is new data in the newly created folders, then another route will need to be taken.

Collapse -

Outlook Express

Collapse -

Outlook Express

by Baziite In reply to Outlook Express

Folders are stored in windows/aplication data / Microsoft / Outlook Express . Try renaming any duplicate folders to some other name and then copying the saved folders to the above folder . If Outlook Express doesn't read the newly copied folders then you have to try something different . Import the old folders into " Microsoft OUTLOOK " ( not outlook express ) then import them back into outlook express from MS Outlook .The reason for this is that you cannot import from Outlook Express into outlook Express .
Try this ! Good Luck

Collapse -

Outlook Express

Collapse -

Outlook Express

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)