General discussion
September 17, 2004 at 05:38 AM
edlockett

Outlook to Exchange 2003

by edlockett . Updated 22 years ago

I have a Small Business Server 2003 domain. Currently the clients in the domain use outlook to retrieve pop3 email from an internal server and store it in .pst files which are located centrally in the users’ home folders on the server.
We wish to implement Exchange, so we need to configure Exchange to receive mail via SMTP from the internet, and then transfer the contents of the users’ .pst files to their new mailboxes.
I have waded at length through deployment guides etc on the MS web site, however nowhere can I find any mention of this particular scenario. All of the documentation seems to pertain to migrating from earlier versions of exchange or lotus notes or anything you like it seems – except for straightforward POP3 mail in outlook.
Can anybody give me a quick step by step as to what procedures are necessary to accomplish this. Bearing in mind that we wish to disrupt the users’ email access for as short a time as possible.
Just to make it absolutely clear – we do not already have exchange or any other central messaging system installed. As we have SBS2003 Exchange is already installed so I do not need to know how to install it. I just want to know how to make it work!
Thanks in advance for any light shed on this.

This discussion is locked

All Comments