General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Over-riding Windows 2000 Admi

by theshybutterfly ·

My son was given a laptop with Win2000 on it. The config of the laptop is insufficient to run this o/system (32mb RAM, PentMMX, 1.3GB HD). I have tried to reformat the drive to install Win98, but whoever was the administrator has blocked boot up from A:, Admin has password protected system setup(F2. In another words, I have no way of reformating the HDD. Of course there is no Win2x discs with the l/top- so any suggestions on how I can format the laptop and get it operational in Win98? I’ve tried the Win98 CDROM but I have no rights to do anything. Cant even type in RUN field to run format. I am at wits end! Love your site & info-VERY USEFUL.

Best regards,
    Princess

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by walid sabra ·

In reply to Over-riding Windows 2000 Admi

you can use Win2000 CD to format the HDD to FAT This will get rid of it. Then use the Win98 floppy.

Might there is another solution. I will comment it later.

by theshybutterfly ·

Appreciate your quick response, however, we do not have a W2k CD, but thanks for responding – it’s nice to know there are people willing to take the trouble to respond.
        Thanks again.

by m.mayberry ·

Can you find the BIOS battery? If so, pulling it out will effectively return the BIOS settings to factory defaults (no system password). Put the battery back in and you should be able to boot from the floppy and be on your way. Of course, laptop BIOS batteries aren’t usually very easy to get to. If you can post the make & model of the laptop, either I or someone else can help you figure out if the battery can be accessed without having to disassemble the laptop.

Reply To: Over-riding Windows 2000 Admi

by theshybutterfly ·

Well, at last I got my hands on the laptop!
        You’re suggestion did help somewhat … at least now I can get it to see & access the A: … but there is more problems looming … thanks to my boy .. someone has had a good play with it… refer to my next question ..>>

by nettek ·

Someone has password protected the systems’s BIOS. The BIOS is part of the PC, and has nothing to do with Win2K.

Go to the laptop manufacturer’s web site and search for technical datasheets. The laptop will have a jumper pin on the inside that will remove all passwords from the BIOS (this means you will have to open the laptop to expose its guts). You can then configure the BIOS to allow you to boot from the floppy.

by theshybutterfly ·

Well, at last I got my hands on the laptop!
        You’re suggestion did help somewhat … at least now I can get it to see & access the A: … but there is more problems looming … thanks to my boy .. someone has had a good play with it… refer to my next question ..>>

by jeaster ·

It sounds as though the CMOS program has been locked, so you cannot change the boot serquence in the BIOS. Since it is a laptop, there may not be a jumber or battery you canremove inorder to reset the CMOS defaults. You will probably need to call the laptop manufacturer. Many manufacturers encode a standard CMOS password so that you can get around this problem. THis has happened to my old Dell laptop a couple times, and once they gave me the CMOS password, everything worked fine.

by theshybutterfly ·

Sorry, under normal circumstances this may have helped, but according to the manufacture, this laptop is from 1997 .. so well out of warranty etc.. no help from their site either! But thank you for your contribution – It was appreciated.

by theshybutterfly ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 4 reply threads