Question

overclocking an emachine t2862

By wickedgooglie ·
hi, i am wanting to overclock my t2862 emachine, aside from the factory parts, it has 777mb ram, and a new power supply, 400watts. i dont really want t oupdate the bios, due to the danger of system failer and all that, and the work involved. i have read a bit about overclocking, and i think im limited to changing the FSB ( but to ehat i dont know) and to changing the watts in each catagory up by .5 or 1.0, is this safe and will it have any effect? plz tell me what to do to each setting, and what the specific setting should be...here r the specs factory..
CPU: Intel? Celeron? D 330 Processor
Operates at 2.66GHz
256KB L2 cache & 533MHz FSB
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft? Windows? XP Home

Chipset: Intel? 845GV chipset
Memory: 256MB DDR (PC 2700)
Expandable to 2GB
Hard Drive: 60GB HDD
Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
Media Reader: 8-in-1 digital media manager (USB 2.0, Secure Digital? (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick?, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)
Video: Intel? Extreme Graphics 3D
64MB Shared memory
Sound: AC '97 Audio
Network: Intel? PRO 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Standard Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 ports (1 in Media Manager; 4 in back), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

ty for ur time...plz help...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Video Card

by TheChas In reply to overclocking an emachine ...

Since I presume your desire to overclock is to improve the performance of this system, the best thing you can do, is install a video card.

Getting away from the integrated on-board graphics will give you the best increase in performance period.

Historically, Intel processors have not responded well to overclocking. Usually, to get them to run faster, you need to increase the core voltage, which requires more efficient cooling.

Plus, if your RAM is not fast enough to support your new CPU speed, the CPU will be spending extra time waiting for RAM and bus events to finish. Further limiting any gain from overclocking.

Another thing to keep in mind is that as far as real world performance, doubling the CPU speed results in at best a 25% increase in performance. Yes, you can get some good benchmark speed results from overclocking, but aside from bragging rights, the increased speed does not translate into performance.

Also, be aware of the risks of overclocking. CPU and even motherboard damage is a real possibility.

Chas

Collapse -

As The Chas has suggested fit a Video Card then if you still

by OH Smeg In reply to overclocking an emachine ...

Want better performance dump the Celeron and fit a Pentium. The added L2 Cache in the Pentium CPU will be the next thing to improve performance after fitting a Video Card and removing the need of the System RAM & CPU to generate the Video.

Intel CPU's in general don't take kindly to overclocking and Celerons in particular like it even less.

Col

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)