General discussion

P2P Network with Win 98 & 2000 Server

By alex ·
I am trying to connect two Windows 98 machines (one 98 & the other one 98 Second Edition) to a Windows 2000 Advance Server on a Peer-to-Peer network via a switch. I created a workgroup and joint all the computers to the workgroup.

If I open the network places on the Windows 2000 Advance Server I can see the two other computers (Windows 9. When I click on them, it gives me an error that says "<name of Computer> path not found." I tried to ping the computers from the Windows 2000 Advance Server, but ping returns an error that says "Unknown host." The Windows 2000 Advance Server has TCP/IP as network protocol.

Now, from the Windows 98 machines, I do not see the computer with Windows 2000 Advance Server, or the other Win 98 computer. I tried to ping the other computers and I get an error that says "unkown host." Both 98 computers have NetBeui and TCP/IP protocols enabled on their Network Cards.

Anyone has had this problem before? Any insights you might suggest to solve this issue???

Please write to

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

A few thoughts...

by eBob In reply to P2P Network with Win 98 & ...

1 - Get rid of NetBEUI on the Win98's. You don't need it.
2 - Make sure IP is configured correctly on all boxes.
3 - Make sure all computers are part of the same workgroup.
4 - Make sure you're using "Client for Microsoft Networks" on all.
5 - Create a share on each computer and enable "suitable" access permissions.
6 - You should now be able to connect to the shares on the Win98's from the Win2KAS.
7 - When you try to connect from the Win98 to Win2KAS, you absolutely must be using a userID configured on the 2K or you will not get through.

Hope that helps.

Back to IT Employment Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)