General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

P2P Network with Windows 2000 & 98

by alex ·

I am trying to connect two Windows 98 machines (one 98 & the other one 98 Second Edition) to a Windows 2000 Advance Server on a Peer-to-Peer network via a switch. I created a workgroup and joint all the computers to the workgroup.

If I open the network places on the Windows 2000 Advance Server I can see the two other computers (Windows 98). When I click on them, it gives me an error that says “ path not found.” I tried to ping the computers from the Windows 2000 Advance Server, but ping returns an error that says “host is unreachable.” The Windows 2000 Advance Server has TCP/IP as network protocol.

Now, from the Windows 98 machines, I do not see the computer with Windows 2000 Advance Server, or the other Win 98 computer. I tried to ping the other computers and I get an error that says “host is unreachable.” Both 98 computers have NetBeui and TCP/IP protocols enabled on their Network Cards.

Each computer has its own IP address and the subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Anyone has had this problem before? Any insights you might suggest to solve this issue???

Please write to alex@ambix.net

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by gmscne ·

In reply to P2P Network with Windows 2000 & 98

If you have IP addresses for the PCs, then have you tried editing a HOSTS file on them? This might associate the names with the numbers and resolve the hostnames.

by chrisaaaaaa23 ·

Few things to check:-

1) The cables. Are you certain these work? Try checking them with a cable tester. Are they bog-standard patch leads or have you accidentally used crossover cables?

2) Run a crossover patch cable between 2 of the PCs and then see if you can see each other – this may prove that the swicth is faulty.

3) On each PC, can you ping 127.0.0.1 ? This is your own PC. If this fails, then TCP/IP has not been set up correctly.

4) If you are going to be sharing from the Win2K PC, make sure you have user accounts set up for the Win98 users. Win2K is more secure and will only allw authenticated users access to it’s drives, files and printers etc…

by alex ·

Thanks! I found out that the problem was the NIC connecting to the switch. For some reason, they were not properly adjusting the speed of the transfer of information.

by alex ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 2 reply threads