General discussion

Packard Bell Multimedia M415

By jackie.roberts ·
I am thinking of upgrading this computer with a new motherboard but I'm not sure what kind of case it has. It looks like an ATX type but I read somewhere about Packard Bell using a LPX type. I haven't been able to find out any information about it, especially not through Packard Bell. Does anyone out there know what I'm looking at, as far as upgradability?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Packard Bell Multimedia M ...

A LPX motherboard has a riser card that plugs into the motherboard. The other plug-in cards plug into the riser.

Almost ALL LPX motherboards are OEM.

If the board looks like an ATX, then it likely is a "Micro-ATX". So yes, you may be able to upgrade.
However, with a newer motherboard, you will likely need a bigger power supply.

So, for another $15 - $20 over the cost of the power supply, you can have a new ATX case that will accept a full size ATX motherboard.

Buy a new case, and sell the Packard Bell for the $100 or so that it is worth.

Chas

Collapse -

by jackie.roberts In reply to Packard Bell Multimedia M ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by opatzg In reply to Packard Bell Multimedia M ...

I like chas's answer if for no other reason you will have new warranted products. Continually upgrading your machine unless you like doing it for the experience and hobby portion of it is highly overrated. There is a mean time to failure on all parts in all machines. Starting with a totally new system gives you that break in period over again when everything runs smoothly and quickly before you overload it with all your software and is far better normally than an upgrade. Besides, if your oldsystem still works, now while kids are in school, it has an excellent chance of selling. Put an ad either in the local schools paper or local shopper and watch it go. Also in my honest opinion $650 buys a very nice top of the line last years pc. No pc is worth over $1000 since it will lose 2/3's its value in the first year. You can buy 3 years worth of new machines for the same price as a high end machine today and the one three years from now will be better than todays top of the line and there is no saying you need to do the purchase on a yearly basis. So keep the money in the bank and buy affordable pc's. Otherwise good luck and have fun upgrading.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)