General discussion

Paradyne 3162 -- reset configuration?

By brasslet ·
We've purchased a couple of used Paradyne 3162 CSU/DSUs. The problem we're having is that once we access the unit's configuration via the COM port, we see a message "User Interface Idle" and we can't get past it. From looking in the user's guide, itappears this means an incorrect password was entered three times. Even if we or the former owners knew the password, I can't see how we'd enter it.

Unfortunately, the users guide says nothing about getting around this problem. Paradyne tech support so far hasn't answered e-mail sent regarding this. Anyone have an idea on how to reset the password, or wipe the config to factory defaults? I can see there is a 3v lithium battery on the main board, presumably to hold NV memory info. I'd pull the battery, but there is a silk screened message next to it that says DO NOT REMOVE BATTERY. I may try it anyway if these things are bricks, but I don't want to make my problems worse otherwise.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to Paradyne 3162 -- reset co ...

You might try downloading the firmware and flashing the bios in order to reset this:

http://www.paradyne.com/tech_support/firmware.html

If that fails, or maybe even before doing the firmware flash, you might try contacting Paradyne Tech Support ( 1-800-237-0016 ) or their Customer Service ( 1-800-482-3333 )

Collapse -

by brasslet In reply to Paradyne 3162 -- reset co ...

Actually, this idea might work but I answer #3 was "right on".

Collapse -

by yelhsa3840 In reply to Paradyne 3162 -- reset co ...

taking outr the battery is what i would do all it does is clears the bios back to the default configuration wich deletes the password i had the same problem before

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Paradyne 3162 -- reset co ...

I was able to contact Paradyne on this issue. Here is their e-mailed response:

The default password is no password. If that doesn't work, then try to procedure outline on page 3-6 of the ACCULINK? DSU/CSU Model 3162-A4 User?s Guide (Document No. 3162-A2-GB20-50). You can download this manual from the following URL:
http://www.paradyne.com/technical_manuals/3162-A2-GB20-50.pdf

I have copied that procedure below:

Recovering Asynchronous Terminal Operation
If the DSU/CSU is misconfigured, leaving it in a state that does not support asynchronous terminal operation, use the following recovery procedure.
Procedure
1. Power cycle the DSU/CSU, waiting for the completion of the power-on self-test.
2. Press the asynchronous terminal?s Return key five times in succession. (Begin pressing the Return key within two seconds after the completion of power-on self-test, and do not wait longer than one second between each successive key press.)
3. The System Paused screen appears. Use it to reset the COM port configuration options or to reload all factory default configuration options.

If you have problems at step 2, then just hold down the Return key during the power on self-test.

Thanks for choosing Paradyne products!

Best regards,
Greg Dawes
Paradyne Technical Support

Collapse -

So, give that procedure a shot. Looks like it will reset the entire CSU, including the COM password.

hope this helps

Collapse -

BTW, the procedure sent in this e-mail can be found on Page 30 in the PDF that they sent the link to.

Collapse -

I saw this in the user manual, but couldn't get it to work. Turns out the cable I had was no good, once I received a good cable I was able to follow the procedure and reset the config.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)