General discussion

Partitions on Windows 2000

By skat ·
I installed Win2000 by upgrade from NT 4.0. I have Partitions C,D,E,F,G,H,I,X. across two 9GB disks. On Disk 0 there are 500 MB unassigned. Each partition is approx 2GB. how can I add the unassigned 500 MB to the C drive which now almost full? Ihave a 2GB Jaz drive which could be used to temporarily store the C contents.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by T DUB In reply to Partitions on Windows 200 ...

You will have to reload the OS to change the size of drive C: You might be able to use Partition Magic and do this but make sure you get a full back of everything before you try either one.

Collapse -

by skat In reply to Partitions on Windows 200 ...

Is it possible to backup drive C to a Jaz drive, then increase drive C from 2GB by adding the unassigned 500MB, then replacing the backed up contents of C? Of course the OS is on drive C so could the OS on the OS CD operate the computer for the purpose of adding the unassigned to C? I have some good experience with Partition Magic but also some catastrophes and have given up using it.

Collapse -

by aekland In reply to Partitions on Windows 200 ...

Answer one is correct. Without using a third party product you will have to reinstall the os to change the size. Some things you could try would be mounting the extra space as a drive in a folder on the c drive or moving things like the pagefile to another partition.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by kreardon In reply to Partitions on Windows 200 ...

Upgrade your basic disk to a dynamic disk. It will allow you to add the 500MB.

Open Disk Management.
Right-click the basic disk you want to upgrade, click Upgrade to Dynamic Disk, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
If you do not see this command, you may be right-clicking a volume instead of a disk, the disk may have been previously upgraded to a dynamic disk, or the computer is a portable computer. (Dynamic disks are not supported on portable computers.)

Check out Windows2000 help for more information about dynamic disks.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Conrad In reply to Partitions on Windows 200 ...

in this world of information overload, the benumbed citizen no longer reads or thinks;
he watches and feels.

-william irwin thompson

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Bhrdwh In reply to Partitions on Windows 200 ...

Hi,
follow this...
1. In Admin Tools -> Open Disk Management.
2. Right-click the basic disk you want to upgrade, click Upgrade to Dynamic Disk, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

If you do not see this command, you may be right-clicking a volume instead of a disk, the disk may have been previously upgraded to a dynamic disk, or the computer is a portable computer. (Dynamic disks are not supported on portable computers.)

Upgrading your partition disk to a dynamic disk. It will allow you to add the 500MB.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next