General discussion

password life on 2000

By mike_m ·
I use a lot of batch files, expecially for repetitive tasks like user profiles, that must be done and kept synchonized on a lot of computers.
On 2000 workstation (but I thin also on servers), when I create user profiles using "NET USER XXX YYY /add", the password expires after zz days, even using the /noexpire option. Each and every individual profile must be cliked on "password never expires" and this creates a lot of "Password has expired" messages at logon if I don't check individually every profile update. How can this be overcome ? Thank you very much and happy new year. Mike (Italy).

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

password life on 2000

by Sojournist In reply to password life on 2000

Modify the default Group Policy Object that is applied at the domain. In a domain, account policies can ONLY be set at the Domain level. Local, OU and Site policies are ALWAYS overridden by policies set at the domain for account security. Most other issues follow normal inheritance rules throught the active directory structure:

(1) Local Policies
(2) Site Policies
(3) Domain Policies
(4) Parent OU
(5) Child OU

Policies normally take affect in the above order, with any policies coming later in the sequence overwriting policies set before them.

If these workstations are in a workgroup, look at the Local Security Policy to see if you have a set expiration for passwords.

Collapse -

password life on 2000

by mike_m In reply to password life on 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

password life on 2000

by mike_m In reply to password life on 2000

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)