General discussion

PC antispyware 2010-New Virus threat.

By winthrop.polk ·
New Virus threat.

So this has never happened once in my 15 years of existence with computers. I left my computer on with ie open, checking out something to do with defcon 17 conference. I come back 1 hour later and I have "PC antispware 2010" installed and bleeping me fails advertisements for the sole purpose of fixing the problems it caused. I suspect this is a fairly new threat since it claims to be 2010 version. Whoever wrote this was good at marketing.

Anyway, I was able to uninstall via adremove programs. Disabled some process trees, I think there were two main ones 93243948 (i.e. somoe number) and PC-antiblabla. haven't hand a prob since, I'm running adaware now, but suspect it wont find anything. I suspect I still am infected.

Anyone got any fixes?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Flick off the safety

by santeewelding In reply to PC antispyware 2010-New V ...

Draw back the slide, chamber a round, and turn away as you fire.

Hold a funeral.

Collapse -

try

by PurpleSkys In reply to PC antispyware 2010-New V ...

malwarebytes www.malwarebytes.org
superantispyware www.superantispyware.com download, install, update and then run...might not hurt to run them in safe mode as well...after that, try running ccleaner www.ccleaner.com ...same thing, download, install, update then run...i don't personally touch the defaults, but if you're computer savvy, run the registry cleaner part too but do a back up of it when it asks...hope that's helpful

Collapse -

But, like Santee said....

by Darryl~ Moderator In reply to try

Purple & I had one infected last week with the same thing...

I spent about 2 hours trying to clean it...then reached for the XP Pro CD....it works well now...the funeral was rather unpleasant though :)

Collapse -

lol

by PurpleSkys In reply to But, like Santee said....

yes it was pretty sad...

Collapse -

System Restore

by CharlieSpencer In reply to PC antispyware 2010-New V ...

I've got about a 50% success rate with System Restore. It's become the tool I try first, simply because it's easy, doesn't take much time, and doesn't require updating AV files before starting.

Collapse -

Well...

by winthrop.polk In reply to PC antispyware 2010-New V ...

The problem is pretty much fixed by this:
1) uninstall via add/remove programs
2) Disable processes
3) delete asociated known files in windows and program files folder (though I didn't find much)
4) Restart (but could only start in safe mode at this stage for some reason).
5) Run through system restore.
6) restart (normally this time, it worked!)
7) Run adaware, spyware docotor. I should have also run CCCleaner, but forgot I had it. It did catch a good deal.
everything seems fine now, but I suspect if this doesn't take care of the problem for you, you can just reiterate again for successful results.

Collapse -

You should still

by IC-IT In reply to Well...

Run a few root kit checks from safe mode.
It seems that they like to sneak in a few false drivers.

Collapse -

A good malware program

by sharkman45m In reply to PC antispyware 2010-New V ...

I'm using Malware Bytes.I've fixed 6 machines today alone with this program. Seems that these new virus have just come out, and with multiple versions.

Back to Malware Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)